Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ipod shuffle connectivity issues(flash drive related)

• Please log in to reply

thatkoreanguy

thatkoreanguy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
so, I have an old 1st generation ipod shuffle and the thing is quite snazzy. it's like a flashdrive that I can plug earphones into and play music. I err...have a special program for it that allows me to load music into a music folder and then run the program and it creates the file necessary to listen to music. this is a workaround from having to sync it to anything or having to download and use programs such as itunes.

so the thing is basically a flash drive. I just normally pop it into any USB drive I want and drag and drop music on it then run the program and go. recently though, the thing just stopped working on me. it powers on and plays music and still has some juice in it but it's no longer being recognized by the computer. not only that, it's not charging through the USB port either. I was hoping anyone with a flash drive might know what might cause a flash drive to no longer be recognized by a computer? I mean, totally not be connected, charge, or be recognized. I've attempted to see what it might be. I don't think it's the ipod itself because it still plays music and seems to act just fine. It's a new computer and I thought that might be the issue; that I might need updated drivers or such. that doesn't seem to be it either. in the past I've connected it to USB ports at hotels, at kinko's, to friends laptops, so I don't think it's the computer. I've tried both back and front USB ports but no good. anyone good with flash drive technology that might be able to help? thanks for any future reply :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like the usb connection on the shuffle has gone south...if it were a PC issue then it would charge on other comoputers besides yours...and if it were more of a software corruption or driver issue then the device would still charge...you just wouldn't be able to drag music to it

thatkoreanguy

thatkoreanguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ahhh...I was worried about that. is there any way to fix the connect? alcohol and a qtip maybe?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could try it...but i doubt it's just dirty