Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

All icons and Buttons a mess

• Please log in to reply

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I switched my computer on this morning and seen that all icons, start menu, buttons on IE for example were totally muddled up, http://i156.photobuc...ruze/screen.jpg
its very annoying and i need to fix it somehow if possible.
any help much appreciated thanks

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geeks to go, my guess is that it is malware caused and should be seen to in the malware section, but if it isn't the options would be repair with XPcd, or system restore to a point prior to the problem. anyways unless someone has a better idea here is the link to the malware section here.
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks for the reply, i have already tried system restore to no avial, i doubt its a malware problem as i havent downloaded anything that i havent had in the past thats caused me problems, but i shall try anyway :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Kelly's korner on this link. Click on no. 195 (Restore Desktop icons and taskbar). Install the patch.

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks for that, but sadly it hasnt worked, i think the problem now isnt with icons, as its more or less affecting everything that uses colour, for instance the whole start menu is disfigured, the all screen have a black and white feature atleast somewere, when windows boots up, you get to the dark and light blue screen saying "windows" theres also a black square on there, im totally stumped by this one :whistling:

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
sorry for double post, but heres more pictures of what im suffering
http://i156.photobuc...cruze/mess2.jpg
http://i156.photobuc...dcruze/mess.jpg

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What do you get with safe mode?

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It looks totally fine in safe mode :whistling: does that denote anything?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully the video card software

Re-install or check for updated software

You can use Everest if you don't know which card you have

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ahh Keith i thank you :whistling: you have aided my learning personally, i realise that in safe mode it obviously uses the standard VGA driver, so the difference being the display driver has changed my problem, now over the past few days i have changed my drivers quite often, just out of experimenting really, i have onboard ATI radeon 9100 IGP, but i was told it was compatable with the radeon 9200 driver, obviosuly not! anyway thanks alot for that, helped me in more ways than one!
cheers, jim

Edited by jerkyjim, 26 July 2007 - 05:16 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
rolled back the driver, put frame buffer back to 128mb now all is well! :whistling:
thanks alot Keith :blink: