Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore to remove XP upgrade not working

• Please log in to reply

devyang2

devyang2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have AOL. 2 days ago when opening it, it gave me a pop-up saying to download a Windows upgrade to improve AOL connectivity to the internet. I downloaded it.

Since then the connecting and opening of AOL takes 4,5 times longer. Plus my wireless internet connection disconnects frequently, it's not stable anymore and it used to be prior to installing of that "upgrade".

the installed file is: Windows XP KB885295.

I tried to reset the computer's settings by using System Restore and a date prior to installation. The computer goes through the motions, reboots but then says it couldn't do the restore and there were no changes made to my computer.

How can I safely remove the above file? Is there a potential problem I'm not aware of if I were to remove it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, add or remove, tick show updates, look for KB885295

Do any restore points work?

devyang2

devyang2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, this way I found it under Control Panel, add or remove.

No, no restore points worked.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Then you could consider going to system restore, clicking system restore settings, putting a tick in turn system restore off, clicking apply and restarting the PC

This clears all restore points, though not worth having any which won't work

Return to system restore settings to turn system restore on, set a restore point then run the PC for a day or so, then try the restore point

If that won't restore

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.

Another thing worth considering is lowering the amount of hard drive space allocated to system restore, from its default 12% to around 5%

If you set a restore point just before you install anything, at least you will have a fairly reliable point to restore to