Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inspiron 1000 running way too hot

• Please log in to reply

Divine1

Divine1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 that runs hot continuously. In fact I have had to change my ac adaptor 3 times bcuz they keep melting and at times the notebook shuts down bcuz its too hot. Please advise what I can do about this (is it relevant that the CPU seems to run at 100% as well?). Thanks a lot

Advertisements

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm no expert. Heck, I'm on here looking for solutions to my problems.

But I think this is a good question for Dell support- is it still undr warranty? This shouldn't happen.

My daughter's Dell laptop runs hot so we bought one of those USB plug in fan decks for underneath but your problem sounds way beyond that.

Sounds like you have a lemmon on your hands.

Like I said, I'm just a guy on the street but I think even Dell would be upset if they knew their machine is melting charging equipment.

I hope you don't 1) leave it on unattended on your bed or 2) leave it on for long periods of time.

Soulds like a fire waiting to happen.

Divine1

Divine1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Greg thanks for your input. I found out that the notebook runs hot because the CPU was constantly at 100% because of 'SVCHOST.EXE' . I googled it and I found forums where it was suggested that a flaw in 'Microsoft Update' causes the problem and it was suggested to uninstall Microsoft Update (but leave Windows Update). I did that and so far I have been fine.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks. That's why the forum is so helpful for airing suggestions and reporting back solutions.

Thanks for the reply.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
In many cases when scvhost takes up 100% CPU usage it is malware related. If your problem is solved then don't worry about it. Otherwise follow these steps:

1) Get a can of compressed air and use it to blow the dust out of the slits that ventilate the laptop.

2) Please go to the Malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.