Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

write protection

• Please log in to reply

Steven3

Steven3

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just got my grandson a 1 gig memory stick for his PSP. When he tried to save something to it we are informed the memory card is write protected. How do I remove the write protection? I think I need to change the attributes but don't know how!!

Help PLEASE. :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
check the memory stick. there should be a little switch that you can toggle.

* Memory Stick media include a write-protect tab to prevent accidental erasure of data. On the back of the Memory Stick media slide the write-protect tab in the direction of the arrow for write-protect mode. When in write-protect mode it is possible to read data but not to write or delete data. Slide the write-protect tab in the direction opposite the arrow to allow data to be written or deleted.

Steven3

Steven3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
There is NO switch on either the memory stick or the adapter.

I think I need to some how change the attributes for the memory stick. But I can not figure out how to do it in WinXP. :whistling: :blink:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
please provide exact make/model memory stick.

write protecting a memory stick is a "hardware" feature and not a software feature. This is why you can not find a way to do it in windows xp.

Edited by starjax, 29 July 2007 - 11:17 AM.

Steven3

Steven3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
What I have is a 1 gb Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo High Speed, Magic Gate. This fits into a Sony Memory Stick Duo Adaptor.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Posted Image

Look at the image on the right, see the little switch? look on the back of your memory stick and see if it has one.

Steven3

Steven3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My 1 gig card does NOT have the switch as is in your photo. It does have the little indent to the right of the switch.

I contacted the sell from Hong Kong & he will replace the card free of charge. The only laugh about this is the postage back to Hong Kong is more then I paid fro the card. :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
before you do that, why don't you go to your local walmart, best buy. Take the memory stick with you. That way you can compare it directly with one that is brand new and still in the package.

Steven3

Steven3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
GREAT idea!!

The card that was sent to me was in a sealed Sony package. But who knows if this was a sham. Off to Wal-Mart I will go.

I will let you know if it is the same packaging or not.

Thanks.

Edited by Steven3, 01 August 2007 - 01:50 PM.