Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Fast Network Disconnects/Reconnects

• Please log in to reply

Xilr

Xilr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To clean up my registry, I formatted my PC recently. I was not having any networking problems at all prior to the format (although I had some non-network related problems).

After installing Windows XP Professional SP2 and fully updating it via Windows Update, I installed 3 programs: Charter High Speed Security Suite 7 (Which is just F-Secure Security Suite with Charter's Brand name on it) , World of Warcraft , and Ventrilo.

On another computer which is behind the same DLink Router, I have a Ventrilo Server running. On another computer (my wifes) she connects to the Ventrilo Server. The room has 3 computers total and only 1 has a problem with disconnecting from the network (mine, the freshly formatted one)

Immediately after the clean windows install, I noticed DHCP wasnt working. The only way for me to access the internet was to hard code my IP address. I did some reading and called around. I was lead to the conclusion that the service "DHCP Client" wasnt starting because the dependent services wouldnt start. The NETBIOS over Tcp/IP service didnt start. I went into DEVMGMT.msc and forced it to start. Once it started my DHCP Client worked and I was able to get an IP from my router without hard coding it. I would have been happy hardcoding my IP, but under both conditions my network would drop out on me randomly for just a few seconds, I had hoped fixing the DHCP problem would fix the losses of connection, but it didnt. The problem persists.

To eliminate the things I've already tried, I complied a list below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I will get disconnected from Ventrilo and WoW (on just my computer). My wifes computer and my "ventrilo server" computer remain connected and working fine. This evidence points to a problem with my computer and points *away* from my router.

2. More evidence to support its not a problem with my router is that I swapped ports that my computer was on. Previously it was plugged into port 4 and I moved it to port 2 just to see... It had no effect, the problem persists.

3. Is it the cable? Not likely. Its a relatively new Cat6 cable, its supposed to support gigabit lan (which this is not) and the other PCs are hooked up with the same type cables (and they work fine). Also, when it does work, its blazing fast. I downloaded something at 500k/s on this machine today, and I've never seen my connection go that fast before. A problem with the cable would likely give me intermittent slow downs and other noticeable problems. My problem occurs once every hour or so, and the problem lasts for just a couple seconds then fixes itself.

4. Is it the NIC? Not likely. The problem happened with the onboard NVIDIA NIC with my Epox MB. I ran out to best buy today and bought a Dlink NIC. I installed it, disabled the onboard one and it does the very same thing.

5. Is it Windows? Donno. Whatever caused my DHCP to not work right out of the box is definitely a problem, but this is as clean of a format as you can get. Like I said, I just installed the windows updates, my charter (F-secure) security software, WoW and Ventrilo.

6. Is it the F-Secure software? Not likely. The other 2 machines behind the router are also running the same security suite, they are not having the problem.

7. Is it WoW? Nope. If I am just sitting around browsing the web I will hear that I got disconnected from Ventrilo and I'll automatically reconnect. Its so fast its hard to notice while browsing the web but it can happen at any time, not just playing WoW.

8. It happened tonight at exactly 10:06pm EST. I quickly loaded up my event log. I saw no events at all taking place at that time. It happens very fast and windows doesnt appear to log it as a problem.

9. It happened again tonight at approximately 11:10pm EST.
----------------

I'll be amazing (and utterly thrilled) if someone can tell me the answer to this problem. If I didnt play WoW, I wouldnt even notice a 1 to 3 second loss of network, but since I play WoW each time it happens its usually an Arena Loss or a Death..... No fun.

Thanks in advance.

*Edit - Added #9

Edited by Xilr, 26 July 2007 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

Xilr

Xilr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Friend suggested I move the network cable away from power cables or anything else that might interfere. I did that and the problem still remains.

jweb

jweb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem the only thing different I didn't do was format my drive. I even changed ISP placeing the blame on the new DSL so I went back to my cable company and I still had the same problem. In the end I found that it was F-Secure 2008 internet security. If you unload it and run the normal windows firewall this problem doesn't happen. What seems to cause the problem is F-Secure hourly check for updates temporaly closes all other internet connections. And i've done the whole change the network card and cable [bleep] like I said I even changed ISP lol. In the end to prove it was F-Secure I uninstalled it ran with just windows firewall and played Age of Conan and stayed connected to vent without ever DCing. Reinstalled F-Secure the next day and 1hr later I dc unloaded the firewall and again all worked fine. Disableing the automatic update didn't work I think it has to do with fsaua.exe which is a service installed by F-Secure even though the update is disabled it still runs silently in the background. F-Secure has yet to answer my support request. Try that and if you get the same problem I hope they answer your question promptly.