Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email Programs

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Am getting discouraged trying to find an email program that evenutally does not develop mounting problems.

Was using Outlook Express/Outlook but of late I cannot send/receive attachments or pictures because the email that contain same hang up enroute and so block any further emails. Verizon (my ISP) tech help? Forget it because I have tried that route and besides not understanding the so called English that the tech tries to speak, they are vastly inexperinced and have yet to resolve the problem.

I then went to Thunderbird and for awhile was quite satisfied. But then they upgraded and now formatting has become a nightmare. Trying to get help takes forever as it either has to be in a forum with other users or waiting eternally for your email to be answered.

Is there any email program out there that is consistent and reliable?

I have a Dell XPS 400 and am using Windows XP OS with SP 2 and 2GB of Ram.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nondaj...welcome back!

Have your tried Eudora? I still use Thunderbird and am quite happy, but my e-mailings are not very complex. Give it a shot and see what you think.

wannabe1

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hi Wannabe1: Nice to hear you remember me. I sure do you and your help. No have heard of Eudora but never really looked into it. Do not know of anyone who has used it so never was referred to such. Am downloading it now and will give it a try to see what it has to offer.

Thanks so much. Let you know how I make out.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I use Incredimail and haven't had any major problems with it.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Really? Isn't that the one that uses all the neat 'smilies'? I had heard that Incredimail is riddled with spam etc. Do you experience such?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The free version has ads in a small window in the upper right hand corner, but it does not have spam any more then any other email program since the spam comes via email you receive.

I use it to download all my accounts instead of going to each one online and logging in. I did upgrade to the Premium version which leaves out all ads and has "VIP Support".

It definitely has all those neat smilies, letter backgrounds, animations, sounds and the email notifier you can select.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Wannabe1 - Tried Eudora but had to uninstall it. I am a gamer and for some reason after I installed Eudora I could not manage the video in the game I was playing - it fractured it for some reason. The minute I uninstalled Eudora - all was well again.

May just be my configuration but anyway back to Thunderbird to see if I can over come the formatting problems I am having.

Major Payne - thanks for feedback re Incredimail. Should try it but rather hesitate now due to experience I just had with Eudora. Have to ponder it a bit.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry that I have to agree with the original post, all the mailing systems I tried before seem to build up problems in the computer so I use yahoo and instead of having the mails come into the computer I go on line and see my mails there, why/because if one looks back over the history of malware it always seems to be some new baddy that is spread by having opened up the mail sent to ones computer, the other advantage of doing ones mails on line as opposed to in ones computer is that now that the server usually gives you a large storage space, a address box and filing system, is that if your computer suddenly dies on you, you have lost nothing or at least don't have a lot of work retrieving ones mails from either the dead computer or from the server's backup, also doing ones mails on lines one can go onto any computer, for example an internet cafe, and just check ones mails. It does not have to be yahoo, it can be almost any server, perhaps the server you are using now, go to the site of the server and just find the place where it says something like "read you mails" or "log on to server mail" and then work from there.

the other idea is using another system which does not have this problem to start with.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I guess I'm lucky as I don't have problems getting all my mail downloaded from Yahoo Mail and Google Mail. I only go online to check these accounts to find out if anyone got stuck in the Bulk/Spam folder and send them on if they did. Then I report all those still in Inbox as spam that should have been caught as spam and sent to Bulk?Spam folder.

But , problems from using my two local email clients has not bother my PC one whit. I have about 8 email accounts and noway am I going to go get my email online. Too time consuming as it is going through it. OE can be used with some very effective Spam Filters. IncrediMail has its own JunkMail filter, but both it and OE can be set up using message rules to either delete from server, delete after download or whatever you want to do with it.

Ron

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I guess that if one has a business, or one has many accounts, it might be better to have the mail come into the computer but I have only two accounts and have linked to those sites directly so there is no time lost in looking up the mail on site, except I agree that I cannot look at those mail offline. I switch between the linux of my own computer, and the xp of the places I visit, depending on from where I am looking at my mail(more whose computer I am using at the time), but the problem remains with windows that the malware prevention is always a step behind the malware, that is however much ones protection is good for the moment, one just does not know what malware will break through next, and then one joins the sudden queue at this forum, also if ever I have to reinstall the computer, the backups being on the server means that there is one less chore to do.

anyway, all is all it this a matter of taste and lifestyle, so I am not saying that this way is better, just offering another idea alongside that way the poster already knows.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
The back and forth experienes with email programs is really helpful to me and not a bit confounding/confusing. In the end everyone's needs, tastes and PCs configuration are different. So hearing many different stories only serves to help me make choices.

I have a Yahoo account but it was just not as concise a program as OE so have not used it much. But have been told that many, many problems are avoided due to size of Yahoo and the protection it offers. In fact my own PC tech (when I really get stuck :whistling: ) uses it and advocates its use and protection. So it may be a matter of just getting used to it.

I know have had enough of the bugginess of OE, lack of intelligible tech support there through Verizon; if I can overcome the formatting difficulties of Thunderbird, am doing well with it. Lacking that will give the paid subscription to Yahoo a try for the year to see how it goes. Have several friends using Yahoo so will see what their experiences have been.

Thanks again for all the feedback from 'ya all' here at this forum. It really has been helpful.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
double post, ignore

Edited by fleamailman, 27 July 2007 - 01:39 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I thought yahoo was free, I have 1gb storage, an address book and can look up sent and received mails as if they were on my computer, but it doesn't have to be yahoo, one could try hotmail or google mail.

OK, I am a bit mad so the rest of this post reflects it though I mean well. first off knowing that sooner or later the spambot finds me loading yet more spam, which the filter may or may not remove, I change my mail address once a year, sending a mailshot to everyone that my new mail address in now....., the point being that the longer one is on one mail address the more spams get attached to it, so address moving is a neat idea, meaning that I still keep the old address for a while but it becomes unimportant replaced by a spamless new one.

next, I have a rubbish mail address for any site that requires an email address before I can get what I want, lets say a driver download, a virus scan, etc., I give them the rubbish mail address and then they can send me whatever they like knowing that my real address not going to be spamed.

lastly, I cannot stress enough the advantage of using linux for ones internet and mail, whether under a dual boot with windows leaving one to do the other things on windows, or a complete install like now what I am using, or probably the safest of the lot, when one is using a live CD which does not use the harddrive,

my madness over, hopes this helps

Edited by fleamailman, 27 July 2007 - 01:36 PM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Not sure I comprehend all you are suggesting but I do know there is a free Yahoo and then a paid one which eliminates the ads. Had not thought of a rubbish address for online work - good idea. Not sure I want to change my email address every year. My recipients fussed when I just recently did a test run of Yahoo and used that address for awhile - changing it every year would probably send them over the edge :whistling: but something to think about once in awhile.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sounds like bussiness address, but one could always keep ones old address, introducing a new address for special clients only and somehow everyone becomes special. :-)