Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Malfunction

• Please log in to reply

narnold30

narnold30

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My external hard drive is acting up with my computer. Whenever the hard drive is plugged into the computer (via firewire) the computer will automatically restart itself and if I continue to have the hard drive plugged in the computer will go back to the desktop and start itself over again. This process will continue until I unplug the hard drive from the computer. I'm running on a Toshiba Tecra 8100 with Windows 2K. My hard drive is a couple years old. I am not sure what kind it is. I'm afraid that my hard drive and all my docs on it are gone and I'm hoping that I am wrong.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
It sounds like the external drive had worked at one time. Correct?

Here are a couple of ideas:
1. try the drive in another computer
OR
2. try another drive on your computer

narnold30

narnold30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes the hard drive worked just a few days ago. I've also tried another hard drive in my computer and it worked fine.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
At this point, it looks like the external drive has a problem. Do you have access to another pc? It needs to have a compatible OS, like win2k, win98, me. If one is available, try connecting the external drive as a slave. If the drive is still accessable, you may be able to retrieve files from the drive before it dies completely.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Wrong compatibility in previous post, sorry. Use a pc with 2000, 2003, NT, xp.

Question - how does the external drive connect to the pc? Was the other drive you tried connected in the same way?

narnold30

narnold30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The drive is connected by firewire into a notebook adapter. And Yes my other drive was connected in the same way. I'll try using the drive on another computer. Thanks for the help.