Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

User Accounts-Change the way users log on and off-how to fix it?

• Please log in to reply

anoop1234

anoop1234

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

Here is the problem I am having. When I go to Start-->control panel-->User Accounts-->Change the way users log on and off, I get a message saying:

"A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To Restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: C:\WINDOWS\System32\BCMLogon.dll"

I have no idea what program it is referring to or how to change it back. I just want my welcome screen and fast user switching back to the way it normally was. Right now it shows me the older way of the welcome screen with the pull down menu. The "turn off the computer" options also come as a pull down menu like the way older windows used to be. Please help me fix this. Thank you very much in advance.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi anoop1234!

See this MS Article 302346.

Doug Knox has a utility that will check for the default GINA and fix it if necessary. You can get it here.

Because this involves editing the registry, please create a System Restore point before doing this. To create a restore point, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose Create a Restore Point.

Please post the results!

anoop1234

anoop1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you very much! It worked =)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad to help! :whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This problem can also be caused by installing any recent version of AOL. No I don't know what the obvious connection is either between the Welcome Screen and AOL. :whistling: