Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Hippie needs new shoes

• Please log in to reply

hippiemind

hippiemind

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
My puter is at 27% free space, and thus slow. I know over the years (7) that I have downloaded tons of stuff that I never use, or I don't need to run my puter. However, I have no idea how to identify this stuff to delete it. I would like to get back to 70-80% free space so that my puter will run more efficiently.

On a regular basis I run defrag, CleanUp, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spyblaster, and Search and Destroy. I am pretty sue therefore that I am not infected. Now, if you can help, I would like to figure out how to get rid of all the ghosts of roads traveled. How do I go about getting rid of this stuff? Things like all the old Win98 files...(do I really need them)

Thanks in advance for your time and your addiction, and I await your lead.

The Hipster. :whistling:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
various places to look, do you have a winkey on the keyboard, looks like mycrosoft's flag, press it at the same time as you press the r button, up will pop the runbox, in the runbox type appwiz.cpl which will open a window that tell you all the programs you have installed on your computer, then you have to decide which program are to be uninstalled and if you don't know what they are google them up, best leave something that you are unsure of, but if it rings a bell as something unneeded and never used, uninstall it.

also, I find myself writing this reply at least once a day to someone, all harddrives have lifespans like humans, best to burn your needed data to a cd or dvd, or store it on an external harddrive, keep two copies of the same stuff because if some higher power dicides that your harddrive's time is up, your data goes with it, harddrive and data rest in peace.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suggest that you get a USB external Hard drive and move all your data files over to it. They are getting very inexpensive, and this, along with un-installing unused programs will free up tons of space. Also, since the only stuff on my local drive is Windows and my applications, a problem with Windows does not put my data at risk--it's all on the external!

If you do not have CCleaner or ATF Cleaner, get them and run them regularly. Take a little time to learn up on CCleaner before you run it the first time, you may end up removing some stuff you later decide you want.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
http://www.atribune....tent/view/19/2/

Open the Control Panel and select Folder Options. Under the "View" tab find and mark the entries for : "Do not show hidden files and folders," and "Hide protected system operating files." That way as you search and move and delete, you won't be messing with anything important to Windows.

Good luck, and please post back with your progress.