Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with disk defrag and deleting files

• Please log in to reply

B.C.

B.C.

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm running win me sys pentium 3 w/20 gb western dig. hd and i have about two gb of unused space. It's been a mess for a year or more. i can't delete any files add new files download any new programs. disk defrag will not complete task. it completes up to 10% and i recieve an defrag error 0004 code.

when i run disk cleanup to delete files it shows the file(s) as deleted , but when i shutdown the computer and/or reboot, the file(s) are still on the computer.

i've tried to download and install virus cleaners and disk defrag tools, but when i reboot anything i add will be gone and anything i delete will remain.

i have tried fdisk, killdisk, dban.. when i've tried to reformat the hd it will tell me to run scandisk.. which i have done a thousand times, i've ran the WD hd disk tools to check the hd and it reports no bad sectors.

What ever it is, it will not let me do anything.
and i just noticed when i went to :

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove> clicked windows setup tab, and it's blank

"Oh yeah" and Scandisk runs evertime i restart the computer.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you delete the files are you also emptying the recycle bin? You need to do that every time before you defrag. You might try running scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode, then not so many processes are running. I had to do that recently on a win98 machine that had too many installed programs and it worked. Let scandisk run to completion and look at the report to see if there are any problems. You may need to do a repair of your installation to get everything working again. And you do know that win98 and ME are no longer supported by MS and you can't get updates for them?

B.C.

B.C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've always emptied the recycle bin before i'd defrag, when it was working correctly. Regardless if i empty it or not... now, it still remain on the computer. I've tried to run both in safe mode defrag always stop with a defrag error code and scandisk reports no problems. I've tried to re-install win me but it will not complete installation and suggest i run scandisk. I've tried to uninstall and it will not uninstall. it just want let me do anything other than surf the web i cant' save any new files because they all disappear when i restart the computer. :whistling: yeah i'm aware, ms no longer supports 95/98/me.

thanks Tyger,

Posted Image

B.C.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like you need to run diagnostics on your hard drive. You can go to Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System information and find out what kind of hard drive you have, or it may tell you in the BIOS screen. Go to the maker's website and download the diagnostics to a floppy or CD and run them. Don't choose the option to write the drive to zeros unless you plan on reinstalling your operating system.

You might also want to download memtest86 and run it to test your memory. Just run it for a couple of hours, if it doesn't report any errors you are probably OK.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi B.C & Tyger
Lets run an online scan
In my signature there is a link (online scan) please try that 1st then please download the free tune up trial.(burn to cd or thumb drive or leave computer on)
After the scan I will post what I want you to run in tuneup.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 03 August 2007 - 05:50 PM.

B.C.

B.C.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry for the late response.

i'm having problems with my other computer.

I will do the scan asap.

Thanks peterm.