Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple BSODs on WinXP

• Please log in to reply

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Right... so we've gotten more than ten, but a lot of them are the same, and the ones I'm listing below are the two most common ones that we get. Actually I couldn't hope to get all of them because I'm not there when half of them occur (computer illiterate people... they just restart without keeping track of anything!). First one didn't have an error message, but the STOP code was 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBACB3A83, 0xB8CF2928, 0x00000000) and at the bottom, was mentioned sysaudio.sys - Address BACB3A83. It never finished dumping physical memory... we left it like that for an hour and nothing happened.

Second error was a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. Yeah, yeah, I know you're going to tell me to look at the pinned, but that doesn't apply to my case. The STOP code was 0x0000007A (0xC07B9200, 0xC0000185, 0xF724062, 0x33CE4860). The error at the bottom had to do with ftdisk.sys - Address F7240642 base at F7236000. This one didn't finish its memory dump either.

We also got another one that said that a process critical to the running of the system had been unexpectedly terminated, but my mom restarted before I could take down the STOP code.

And, there's the many more where I didn't get.

This happened before when I had a SmitFraud infection and a keylogger, but that message was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and that was fixed when the infections were busted.

Soo... can anyone :whistling: ?

EDIT - Bleh... more strange errors. About six minutes ago, I was working on this computer - minding my own business. Suddenly, a box pops up - an error box that looks surprisingly like the ones in Win2K, with the red-circle-and-white-X logo. The title is something like "explorer.exe" and the box says Unknown hard error (no period). The same message appears in a taskbar "bubble". The only options in the box are "OK" and "Cancel", so I'm like "Ah, what do I have to lose" and hit "Cancel". My taskbar and desktop disappears (presumably because I terminated explorer.exe). Another one pops up, this time saying winlogon.exe. I hit Cancel again, another one pops up, but I didn't get what it said because another BSOD appeared:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

pointless advice

stuff

microsoft's space filler

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE1DECC30, 0xC000000E, 0xBF97D2EC, 0x1FBAB860)

win32k.sys - Address BF97D2EC base at BF800000

And not sure if I should mention this, because it seems irrelevant, but for the past three months my explorer.exe has been "locking up" at startup - when you move your mouse over the taskbar you just get the hourglass. The Desktop works, but programs take a while to open. This is still happening.

EDIT2: The "process has been unexpectedly terminated" BSOD happened again - here's the error code:

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x844902A8, 0x8449041C, 0x805C773E)

Edited by Fredil Yupigo, 27 July 2007 - 09:34 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is the computer overclocked? Then before anything else bring it to normal. Set it to default values in the BIOS.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Yes, it is overclocked... but that produced no problems before we installed the new HDD.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
By overclocking a system you create almost inherent instability where every change can push it over the brink. For test porposes reset the bios to default values and see if the computer stabilise. You can wright down essential parameters like latencies and cpu clock multyiplier to make it easier to return to overclocking.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Hmm... overclocking disabled, and the first error I got was a process terminated error.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The sata disk that you installed isn't the one with the operating system. Am I right? If yes, please disconnect the new drive. both power and cable data, and see what happens.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
No, there was a clone disk wizard. We transferred our old C:\ drive to this one, and disconnected the old one and tucked it away in our basement/closet/some place.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to re-install the old one and see what happens. There might be a problem with the cloning process itself or with the new disk. As a rule, when you clone a disk and and use the cloning to a different hardware many problems can occur.

If you intened to use the cloned disk I would recommend a repair installation of xp. You can find a link to a guide in my signature.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
'kay, I'll try that in a few. Thank you so much for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes :whistling:

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Okay... uhh... IDK how to say this, but it didn't go so well. When I entered Setup on the CD, I didn't get the option to repair - which meant no XP installed. I'm like "Wow, what!?". Then, when I reboot, nothing happens. I just get a black screen with the blinking "Command Prompt" text input thingy at the top left corner. It doesn't say "C:\", doesn't say "C:\WINDOWS\System32", or whatever else - it just flashes, and nothing's there. The XP logo doesn't even show up, and neither will the Advanced Options menu. To boot from the CD again, I had to change the BIOS setup to make the first boot device the CD. An attempt to run the Recovery Console (R at the first screen) didn't go well - chkdsk /p said unrecoverable error :whistling:

What now? I don't want to format :blink:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The reason you couldn't repair was that your CD was not first priority boot device. Now that you corrected that in the BIOS you should be able to perform the xp repair installation as per the instructions in the link in my signature.

Have you tried to reinstall the old disk? If yes, what happened. If no, please try.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I'll do it when I get home - I'm a long way from home (I live near Boston and I'm in Maine).

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Old disk works perfectly fine - it's not broken. In fact I'm using it right now. But when I enter setup there's no repair option, and what's even more, the type of the C:\ drive is displayed as Unknown instead of NTFS, and Setup can't format it. So I just decided to delete the partition, make a new one, format it, and install a clean OS (keeping the old drive as a backup). Thanks for all your help :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Our pleasure.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
It was the hard drive! Evil Seagate :blink: We returned it and bought a new one, seeking to install it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes :whistling: