Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I upgrade my desktop so that it will detect certain hardware?

• Please log in to reply

Sarabande

Sarabande

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just as a general question, what can I do to upgrade my computer so that it will detect hardware that it is currently unable to. I recently bought a Insignia NS-DVB4G mp3 player, and tried to connect it to my Dell Dimensions 2300 desktop using a USB cable, but the computer doesn't detect the MP3 player.

Also, I'm not totally sure that this is due to a lack of an upgrade. The same computer's upper CD-ROM drive doesn't detect CDs, so their may just be something wrong with this particular computer.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geeks to go, have you tried the maker's site to see if you can download the needed drivers from there

http://www.insignia-...ayer-black.aspx

if not one can send them an email explaning the problem

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Sarabande, have you tried using a different USB port? Sometimes the back ones seem to work better than the front ones on your case. I also suggest try installing the latest drivers first, as fleamailman has mentioned.

As for your CD-ROM drive, this is probably a different problem. I find that optical drives are usually one of the first components to die in a system. If your computer is a few years old, it's possible the laser no longer works properly. The good news about that is you can pick up a new DVD burner for less than $30.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Those machines do not have a USB2.0 port, front or back. What you can do is get a PCI card that supports USB2.0, you can find them with anywhere from 2 to 5 ports, and other hardware will work better and faster with them. They're not very expensive either. Just use the built in ports for slower things like mice and keyboards.