Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any BattleTech Fans Out there?

• Please log in to reply

Urk

Urk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't know if there are still any BattleTech fans out there, but if there are you should definitely check out Wolfman's MC2X that was released a couple of days ago.

http://www.wolfman-x.net/

Make sure you download MC2X-Driftwood Edition and not Wolfman-X (Wolfman X is a hack for peeps with the original retail version of the game). MC2X is a freeware game engine based on the open source code released by Microsoft for the 2001 MechCommander 2 game.

http://en.wikipedia....MechCommander_2

It has all of the features of the original game except online playability (I have faith that he'll get that working) and Video Support (ie... no movie cut-scenes which never ran right on my XP machine anyway). It also adds tons of fan created content... new mechs, new buildings, new vehicles, new pilots, new equipment to customize your mechs with...

The game engine for MC2X has been working for quite some time, but Wolfman just released a version with a complete multi mission campaign bundled in. Gameplay feels eerily like the old PNP Battletech rules (it's RTS, not turn based).

If you played MechComander 2 or read the wiki description don't go in expecting to replay the same game. Wolfman did this campaign himself from scratch.

The game also comes bundled with a mission editor so you can create your own one shot missions OR multi mission campaigns.

If there's anyone left alive out there who has fond memories of driving a Mad Cat or Catapult you should definitely check this one out. I'll never forget the first time I salvaged a working Vulture off the battlefield. LRM-20 Kicks Butt!

Edited by Urk, 27 July 2007 - 05:43 PM.

Advertisements