Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

jimthecello

jimthecello

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have not been able to login to safe mode. Today I was in misconfig and checked boot up in safe mode thinking it would let me fully login in safe mode. Now I cannot get back to a regular boot up...even when I select start up normally or last known good configuration. My computer will not let me fully boot up in safe mode either. It comes to the user icon page, but there are no icons.

I did try to reinstall windows with the disc. But it was warning me that I might lose files on my computer so I stopped.

So is there any way I can get back to booting up normally?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
just want to carify here, while still in safemode you have unclicked the "boot in safemode" from msconfig however when you restart the computer still you are not getting into normal boot, is what your are saying? sounds like whatever the original problem was, the computer feels that it has not been corected so it is refusing to return to normal mode.

the above or it is because if you click the "start in safemode" in msconfig and reboot, the computer will not let you start back in normal mode until one has unclicked the "start in safemode" from msconfig while booted up safemode meaning that the computer will not allow the normal boot option to work, (repeat, simply choosing normal boot form the safemode options will not work, one must unclick the start in safe mode in msconfig while booted to safemode)

sorry my english today, probably the weekend, the sunshine, etc.,.....

Edited by fleamailman, 28 July 2007 - 01:18 AM.

jimthecello

jimthecello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
the above or it is because if you click the "start in safemode" in msconfig and reboot, the computer will not let you start back in normal mode until one has unclicked the "start in safemode" from msconfig while booted up safemode meaning that the computer will not allow the normal boot option to work

This is the case.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
me not clear here, is the box still clicked in msconfig to boot up in safemode or have you unclicked it so that it shouldn't?

if you have unclicked the box in msconfig and still the computer is refusing the boot in normal mode it sounds very like the computer has a problem that is causing the system not to go into normal mode, not the problem of the safemode settings in msconfig. A bit more detail please, why did you set it to safemode to start with?

jimthecello

jimthecello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I can't get to misconfig at all now cause I cannot log on at all.

I went to safe mode to run Avg antispyware. (I was working on the malware removal steps)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
two ideas then, restore form command prompt, or repair with xp cd, both links below, sorry that I didn't understand your post at first, thinking that you could not adjust the safemode boot option. good luck then
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

Edited by fleamailman, 30 July 2007 - 12:07 AM.

jimthecello

jimthecello

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Problem solved - Thanks a lot Fleamailman.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
np