Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs keep opening through Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Hi, I have a huge problem with Windows Vista. I am a new user, for about 4 months..

About 1-2 months ago, this is my uncles computer.. Something happened and all of his files keep opening via Windows Media Player. IE: you open Notepad, it pops up Windows Media Player. I think its virus or spyware..

But the thing is when I try to install my Spyware Doctor and AVG scanners, the .exe is opened through Windows Media Player.. I don't know how I can change Vista's default settings so that .exe are opened through their default opener, etc...

Bottom line: everything keeps opening via Windows Media Player.. :blushing:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tubui...

Let's see if we can start a system restore using a command session. Then you can restore to a date before the problem began. This is assuming the Start Menu works.

Click Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, right click on Command Prompt, and choose "Run as Administrator". A command session should open. At the prompt, type rstrui.exe and press "Enter". Hopefully this will open the System Restore window. If it does, tick the radio button at the bottom to "Choose a different restore point" and click "Next". Tick the radio button at the bottom to "Show restore points older than 5 days" and click "Next". Scroll down the list to a date before the problem began, select it, and click "Next". Allow it to restore and see it the problem is resolved.

If the machine works properly after the restart, I would highly recommend that you pay a visit to our Malware Forum as you will likely still have infected files on the machine.

Let us know how this goes.

wannabe1

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I managed to restore it using Safe Mode: Command Prompt to 7/7/07 but to no avail! Windows media still keeps popping up!

This is not my computer, it is my uncles.. So I do not know when the problem started but 7/7/07 was the oldest restore date.. I should just refromat?

Edited by tubui, 29 July 2007 - 12:47 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Wonderful. :whistling:

Go back to command prompt and type regedt32 Press Enter...does registry editor open?

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Yes it does..

Also, there is a second user on the computer..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe

The values in the right pane for this key should be as follows:

(Default) = exefile

Content Type = application/x-msdownload

Is this what you find?

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Command prompt doesn't open on the administratr acount but it opens on the secnodary account.

It also opens on the safe mode: command prompt.

Should I do that above on the sceondary or safe mode.

edit: I saw what you posted above on the secnodary,checking safemode command prompt now.

Edited by tubui, 29 July 2007 - 01:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do it from Safe Mode

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Do you have AIM / MSN i can talk to you on?

_- I went on Safe Mode Command Promt and do regedt32, nothing happened.

Edited by tubui, 29 July 2007 - 01:40 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't...sorry. There is Live Chat from the site, though...I can join in there.

azAz09

azAz09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It opens command prompt is opening with windows media player too please reply please