Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Sound

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well lately my computer has been making a weird sound. It is like a high pitched hissy kinda noise. It goes off and on and is getting kinda annoying. I went down to listen to it and when I put my ear up against the case it gets a lot louder. Wehn I took my ear away it got quiter. So I tested it with my finger, same thing.

Any ideas???

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open the side cover of the box and it will be a lot easier to identify the source of the sound. Probably one of the fans.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It could also be a vibration from one of the fans, so it is important to open the case to determine the source of the sound or at least the general area that the sound is coming from. You can also get sounds from the power supply (inductors which vibrate due to the frequency of the power due to the coating not being right).

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

So I tested it with my finger, same thing.

You can hear with your finger? :whistling: I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're saying here. Do you mean that it gets louder when body interference is closer to the case?