Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lite-On DVD burner

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everyone.

It's my turn to ask a question.

I installed a brand new DVD burner: Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1P KLOG. I can burn old type CD-R but I don't succeed to burn DVD disks.

On the burner is written: DVD+R DL. I use Nero 6 but I also tried Nero 7 Essentials which was packed up with the drive. The media I try to burn is DVD+R 8X speed. When I try to burn I get the following message from Nero:

"Sorry your compilation cannot be written on this type of disk. Please insert a disk of the correct type or modify the settings of your compilation to make it compatible with the current disk. Disk required for the compilatio: CD-R/RW"

Now, I don't find any option to modify the settings in Nero. I tried to update the firmware but on Lite-On I only find update for LH-20A1P and not for LH-20A1p KLOG, so that's not an option.

Frankly, I hardly use DVD's so I am sure that many of you are more experienced in this kind of problem then I am. I tried to search in G2G but for some reason got error messages.

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Problem solved. First I downloaded a trial version of Cheetah DVD Burner and it worked beautifully, so it's not a hardware or firmware problem. Then I scratched my head a liitle more in front of Nero 7 Essentials and found what I missed.

Thanks.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might still want to post the steps to your solution here in case someone has a similar problem and was following this topic. Like me. LOL

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
By all means, Major Payne.

What messed me up was a combination of hardware and software failures. Initially I couldn't burn anything on the new DVD drive. It took me sometome to discover that the problem was with an older CD drive. The new and the old one were recognized by the computer. Each could read disks without any problem and all looked fine up to the point in which I tried to use the new DVD burner. I couldn't burn anything. It would go to about 7% and send an error message that the process failed. I latter dicovered that it failed at such an early stage that the fresh disks were not damaged and I used them latter.

Eventually I discovered that the mere presence of the older drive failed the process. I tried every possible jumpering combination but to no avail. The new burner just wouldn't burn. Only when I disconnected the older drive did the new burner start working. So, I had to leave the old drive diconnected.

But then the new disk would only burn CD-R disks. When I tried to burn DVD disks it would fail giving me the error message about the wrong disks. I thought I might update the firmware but couldn't find an update to my exact model.

Now, if you are familiar with Nero burning program you may know that they have about a million versions with some differences about them. Many times they take certain modules out and it takes you sometimes to understand that what you used to have is not there any more and other things, which you never knew about, were added.

At that stage I suspected that something may be wrong either with the Nero or with me understanding Nero. To check this I downloaded a free trial vesion of Cheetah and it worked like a charm. Then I knew that the problem is either with Nero or with me. Eventually it was with me. Nero, insead of having a function that automatically identifies which disk type you want to burn, leaves it for the user to do. At that stage I suspected such a possibility but couldn't find the solution. After leaving the computer for a cup of cofee I found the solution in a minute. It was in front of me, on the first screen of Nero.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks for taking the time to post all that. I don't use Nero, but maybe my problem is similar and it is between the chair and the monitor. Will have to take another look at my options and what the different apps may have done. Roxio came with the PC and I am about to toss it out. Doesn't even burn data CDs if the file path has more then 125 characters. I just want a backup of the file, not the path to it to be burned along with it. LOL Will get to it some day.

Ron

ALopes

ALopes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please, how did you solve the problem with Nero? I've tried everything I could imagine. I've got a new computer three months ago and up to now I can't burn DVDs. :) I've even reinstalled Windows but nothing solves the problem. I can burn CD, read DVD, but there's no way to burn DVDs. It doesn't work. It's the same DVD burner: Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1P KL0G.

Please, help me. I'm desperate with this problem and I don't know what else to do. :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Which version of nero are you using? Version 6 I believe has a tab at the top that you select to choose either dvd or cd. Not sure with version 7 as I haven't used that much... As the skeptic said there really are many different looking versions of nero.... but somewhere in the software should be a place to select new project and what type....

ALopes

ALopes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm using Nero 7 Premium. It has a tab at the top to choose DVD or CD. I select DVD, but even so I can't burn anything. I keep getting error messages. Or it tells me the disk isn't empty (even if the disk IS empty) and so it ask me if I want to erase the disk. If I answer yes, it seems to be erasing the disk, but when the task is complete, it tells again that the disk isn't empty. And I get stuck in this process. :) I don't know what else I could do to fix it.

Any help is appreciated. :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Is this burner mult-format? most are these days it seems... You could try a different brand of media.... not all brands are created equal and some brands seem to work better on other burners.... Also since it is asking about formating it sounds like you are using packet writing so that would mean you need to use RW disks and not R. Also you may want to try as Skeptic did and download another burning software and see if that works.... if it does you know it's the software... if not then maybe your drive is bad...

ALopes

ALopes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Nothing worked, so I took the computer to the store where I bought it. They checked it and found out that the drive was defective. :) So they changed it for a Sony. It's working now. I'm relieved. After many problems and headaches, finally seems I got it solved. Thanks for all the tips. If somebody come across the same problem, I'll recommend to get it substituted. Probably the drive is bad. :)