Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are the advantages of Vista Premium,

• Please log in to reply

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Considering buying a Vista Premium PC.
The XP Pro is faster on machines with less power.

So I invest in a 4gb mem system Core Duo-
XP pro would be screaming fast
What about Vista?

Or if I really want Vista, keep waiting for price drops.

All I've heard after reading some is about the start menu in Vista is better.
Well shoot, with XP Pro and Windows Explorer I can make it look any way I want.

So I was wondering what are the REAl advantages of Vista.
Except perhaps MS will drop support for XP.

So just some thoughts, not trying to start a war.
Just some common sense in buying Vista Premium or XP Pro.
Both almost the same in price-except the equipment needed to run Vista.

Thanks, any comments are appreciated.

And P.S.-why didn't they put XP Pro on the Vista DVD
so you could have a choice if unsatisfied with Vista, one could return to XP Pro or even XP Home.
They certainly have the technology to do that. Money is the only thing I can think of,
as to why they wouldn't make it an option when reformatting. But I could be wrong. And usually I am. So I ask.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its as fast or faster than XP pro it will certainly feel faster and on your system Vista will handle the resources better than XP pro, it has direct X 10 which is a biggy, and the start menu is a big improvement, its lots of little things really, it is better than XP it will give you fewer headaches(especially if you turn off UAC at least when you set it up). The 64bit version is blazing fast and driver support is getting pretty good now all the big companies have 64bit drivers now and MS has a big library off drivers for it.

cmpm

cmpm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Thanks for the reply warriorscot,
I've read quite a few reviews but wanted some input from users who know what they have and know by experience what Vista can do.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Also, to answer your original question, the most noticeable difference is that Vista Premium has Windows Media Center on it, which is a program that you can use to easily navigate between all your movies, music, pictures, games, and TV (if you have a TV tuner).

XP Pro doesn't have Media Center.