Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

office assistant in startup?

• Please log in to reply

karen58

karen58

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi, I ran a scan with McAfee to clean up my system and now the Microsoft assistant is in the taskbar running without a Microsoft program running. If I click on the icon he pops up and when I right click on him, I can only hide him. I tried shutting him off through the startup program but that didn't work. I looked in some of the Office programs & haven't found a way to shut him off. Any suggestions anybody? :whistling: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Right-click on the Office Assistant > select Options > on the Options tab uncheck the box beside Use the Office Assistant

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I know how to shut it down, normally, but this is running seperately in the task bar even though I have no programs running. When I go to options to hide the assistant it just minimizes it back to the taskbar.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
How about starting an Office program then trying to hide the assistant?

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I figured it out. I was able to go in to the registry & Shut it down. Thanks any way.