Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious startup issues - safe mode broken too

• Please log in to reply

pj1115

pj1115

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey

A trojan program installed itself on my PC and it's become 99% unusable since.

After the install, I constantly got pop-ups, and those 'You have been infected' messages. Naturally, I killed the processes, and deleted them from startup.

The first time I rebooted, and logged on (it worked fine up until then), I was greeted with a 'Generic Hosts Process has encountered an error and needs to close' message (I had been getting them for a few days). Then, explorer.exe starts but then seconds later it dies. Manually starting it has the same result. I managed to fix the generic hosts error by re-registering some libraries, but the explorer problem is not solved. Safe mode is no better because explorer doesn't work there either. I have to do everything from command line.

I tried replacing the explorer.exe with a fresh one from the install disk, but no luck.

Please, I need to get this sorted ASAP!

Edited by pj1115, 28 July 2007 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
If you have malware, please go here for instructions on what to do :whistling:

pj1115

pj1115

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, I'll give it a try, but I'm not sure how I'll cope with no windows explorer, no sound, no safe mode and no decent system restore points...

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Trust me, these guys are good :whistling:

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Wait, did you say no Windows explorer? What do you mean by that?

Asukiy

Asukiy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry wrong thread. :whistling:

Edited by Asukiy, 30 July 2007 - 03:08 AM.