Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer won't recognize soundcard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
System Info: Windows XP Professional SP2

Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Live! Value Digital 1024

Problem: My computer would not get past login in Windows XP Home SP2, so I tried repairing XP Home sp2 through boot-up Windows Repair option. I also tried to sign in through Safe mode, with no solution. I ended up clean installing XP PRO SP2 which my roommate has for his XP Pro machine. I loaded it up and everything seemed to run perfect, and faster than before (no junk or adware is the reason). Then I realized that the computer no longer recognized the sound card. (It never recognized it since the XP Pro installation). Also in the NOD32 (anti-virus program) when I run a virus check it says that it can't read some files (ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, usrclass.log, usrclass.dat.log, edb.log, tmp.edb, default.LOG, SAM, as well as some others.) error opening (File locked) [4]) for example: "C:/pagefile.cys error opening file (4)File Locked" then in the bottom it says:

"[4] File cannot be opened. It may be in use by another application or operating system."

Then I remembered when my computer reboots it asks me which OS I want to use XP PRO, or XP Home. I actually edited the boot.ini earlier so it would boot directly to XP PRO. I just thought that this was weird since I formatted my disks before I installed XP PRO. Could it be possible that my old OS is using my soundcard?

Also I tried installing Creative soundcard drivers, but it says that there is no sound device installed on this computer.

SUMMARY: My computer won't recognize my soundcard since my clean install of WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 from a messed up WINDOWS XP HOME SP2 machine.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Edited by andydude00, 28 July 2007 - 02:26 PM.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
So you've installed XP using the same CD that belongs to your room-mate's computer? I assume you also used the same CD-key to install it as your room-mate used? If so, that's illegal unless it's covered by a multi-user licence. If it's a single-user licence you are legally bound to install it on only one PC. As such, we cannot help you.