Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable AIM add

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Does anyone know how to disable that annoying add on the upper part of AIM? Does anyone know of a way of doing this by going into program files/AIM and deleting something? If the only way is to use some sort of program let me know too.

Also, on a side note, in C:\Program Files\AIM\Sysfiles, there is a program called Viewpoint. Now on my other computer all that has done is been annoying and I was wondering if I could delete it out of this file.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
I always wanted to get rid of those ads too. I just uninstalled AIM and got Trillian. Trillian doesn't have any of the ads or spyware. Also, with Trillian you can be on MSN, ICQ, Yahoo!, and AIM at the same time. Regarding Viewpoint, that can probably be uninstalled. I haven't heard very good things about, just go to add/remove programs and it should be there, and then you should probably check around to make sure it all got uninstalled.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I've tried other messenger programs like Trillian, but I would just like to disable the add. Are there any free programs that will get rid of the add, and maybe also clone aim and give me tabbed browsing? If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You can use Aim Ad Hack to remove the ads, but it works only with Ver 5.9.3702.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks conmir, that was a great suggestion.

Chipster

Chipster

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You can also eliminate the ads in AIM with a program call Middleman. It has several other neat functions like invisibilty and removal of the other parts of the AIM window. Unfortunately, its' use is limited (for now) to older versions of AIM. Check it out at www.middleman.com

Chipster

Chipster

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just did Aim Ad Hack myself. Since I run 5.9 I had to uninstall Middleman for Aim. The Ad Hack is GREAT! While I still like the additional features with Middleman, I'll use Ad Hack until they get caught up on versions compatible with AIM 5.9.

Thanks comnir, I didn't even know I wanted it!