Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed again,

• Please log in to reply

Maddie

Maddie

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:D <_<
Darn it, my monitor has begun to show me more pixels, ity-bity fragments of color!

Question;

Should I ask for another monitor like this one Flat panel, or should I go back to the big heavy jobs, CRT?

These new pixels just showed up unexpected... makes me wonder if these monitors are worth having.

Thank you again for any help you send my way.

Sincerely,
Maddie

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
What do you mean by "pixels"? What exactly are you seeing and where?

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Gee...now you really are :D confusing me.

Pixels...those little dots of colors hidden somewhere in your monitor that do great things..like show you a blue sky, the green grass that needs cutting again, the red balloon you bought for your kid, the yellow mustard that you spread on your hot dog bun.... yep those little dots of color. Some of mine are popping up when not needed.

Maddie <_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
If they're new pixels, what are they pixels of?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi again Maddie,

Are the pixels stuck on one color? Or, are the randomly appearing to be the incorrect color?

Nathan: LCD monitors suffer from a problem CRT monitors don't--stuck pixels. These are due to tiny manufacturing errors when creating many millions of individual pixels. If you were to look at your computer screen with a magnifying glass, a pixel is an individual dot. Combined these dots of color provide the screen image. A stuck pixel doesn't change color.

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello again,

I am floored, this new monitor had a less offensive pixel than my first monitor, This one has a blue pixel that truely dissapeared once I was totally booted up. (I hope I am using the term "booted up" correctly, like I've turned on my pc, and now I'm ready to do whatever; work or play?
Anyway this blue pixel only appeared at the left hand, and bottom of the screen on booting up.

Now what has happened really confuses me :D !

These "spots" for a better word are like small fragments of a pixel...
Where a pixel is like the size of a needle head, these new ones are like the size of the other end. ... Minute!
Two are close together, and another one is in another part of the screen.

I'm afraid this new technology needs more work.
But for me its what should I do now?

I have plenty of room on my desk top.
I do like the bigger screen but these are available in CRT monitors, so the big question is..
Should I ask to have my monitor replaced with a CRT 17 in?
Of course they might not even go for that, but can't hurt to ask?

Thanking everyone who is trying to help me.

Sincerely Maddie <_<

OOPS....

They are stuck on one color.

Edited by Maddie, 28 May 2004 - 07:59 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you using the DVI (Digital Video Input) for your LCD?

Only you can decide how much this problem is going to bother you. It does sound like IBM has more than their share of problems with this monitor.

If I remember correctly this was a 17" LCD monitor. That equals about a 19" CRT (because they're measured differently). A CRT is bigger, heavier, and uses more power, but it is also "mature" technology, very reliable, displays truer colors, and is better suited to motion (games/videos).

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello again,

Sorry but I do not know about this...

"Are you using the "DVI (Digital Video Input)" for your LCD?"

Yes, you are correct....only I will be able to know how badly this will affect me... Crazy pixels!

Support tell me that if there are 8 or more pixels showing I well get another monitor, and for the moment I am still within my 30 days Satifaction Guarantee, so I can ask for a new one.
What troubles me also is the packinng up, also they charge my credit card, then go back and re-credit my card. This in itself can becoming annoying. Then to simply just find another pixel of another color on the new screen?

You state that a 17 inch LCD is equal to a 19 inch CRT.... wow thats a bit big...like my old TV set.... <_< LOL

What is the best size to get for home use?

I like this part of your advice;

" it is also "mature" technology, very reliable, displays truer colors, and is better suited to motion (games/videos)."

So I'll call them and see where I stand with them ?

I'll keep you posted.
Thank you again for your time, and advice.

Maddie :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A DVI connector:
Posted Image

What is the best size to get for home use?

17" is the most common. I have a 21" <_< 19" would be a good size IMO.

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello again,

Wow, that is some pix, I have only used the connection that was required for my mouse, monitor, internet, speakers, and I finally got my printer-scanner connected recently.

I guess the answer would be no! I don't think I have used either one? Is that possible? (do you have a "smilie" that scratches its head?)
Anyway I'll take a look at the back of my tower, to see if that was a choice I had.

Bless IBM I just got their stament on the refund for the returned monitor.

One thing caught my eye...
It reads that I have a ...value L170 17" TFT... what is a TFT?
Is that like a LCD?

Curious why did you get a 21"...and CRT or the other?

Also I called the sales person, so far no call back. But I expected this. LOL
But as promised I'll let you know when I get an answer.

Could you help me on another matter?
I downloaded the latest Netscape browser, my e-mail is hooked up with Outlook Express, I can't get my e-mail when I click the mail icon if I'm in Netscape.

Is there a way to set up Netcape to give me my mail without making Netscape the default mail broswer?

Will close again, thank you again for your help.
I'll check my e-mail again later.
Have a good evening. :D

Sincerely,
Maddie <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I really just bought the 21" for games, but I really think it's been a great investment for "everyday" computing.

TFT is just a "type" of LCD (a very good one BTW).

I haven't used Netscape in a looong time. Maybe someone else will jump in.

P.S. I just happened to think of something. A 17" LCD is designed to run at a very high native resoultion. Native is the resolution that uses every pixel, without having to compensate. I forget your model number, but I'd guess your monitor's native resolution is 1280 x 1024. If you're not at that resolution, try changing it and compare how it looks.

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Good morning,

I read your post, and went to check what my screen resolution was set at... its at

1024x768

I tried the other, but can't see any real difference. What should I do?

Also have run into something new, when trying to get into my "Control Panel", and then to other selections, my pointer turns into an hourglass, but just stays there, and does nothing. So on this I called IBM, and I just learned something new... the "System Restore" program. I think I downloaded some "updates" from Microsoft that is not good for these Control programs.
However I see where I have to be careful or else I lose my Netscape, and even the printer-scanner I just installed.

I am amazed at the differences between my 1997 IBM, and this IBM.

Well back to the work grind.
Have to go transplant my tomatoe plants.

I'll check later, have a good day.

Maddie <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I looked it up here:
http://www.pc.ibm.co..._allmodels.html

1280 x 1024 is the native resolution, and should offer the best picture.

Maddie

Maddie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello again,

You are one "super dooper" helper!

Many thanks, for all your help.

Well with getting my "Control Panel" to work properly, I've had to restore to before I added Nnetscape, and added my printer.
Now I can get things to work.

About Netscape, the only thing I like about it is that when filling forms, it remembers the data and does it for you.

How about the browser you are using?
Does it, or I should say did it pose any problem with pre-existing programs?
Or should I work only with MicroSoft Explorer, who constantly want me to update SOMETHING...be it Critcal or just standard!

Thank you, thank you. <_<

Maddie

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I mostly use Firefox. It's fast, has tabbed browsing, and many features you can add.
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/