Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problem

• Please log in to reply

dantool

dantool

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i'm using windows xp and got this wierd problem.whaenever i open a file be it mp3,wmv etc involving sound....the file opens normally but after a few minutes the sound goes off.the sound doesn't come on even after starting the media player again.to hear the sound again i've to restart my computer.on some lucky days(which are very rare) i can see a complete movie without this glitch.what shuld i do resolve this thing? :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you give us some details about the computer (make and model. If it's generic please write down the name of the motherboard manufacturer. If the sound card is not integrated into the motherboard then let us know the make and model). Is this the only problems that you have or do you get freezes or other disturbances in other applications?

First of all try to to reinstall the sound driver. Second, if you can borrow another speaker, even a very simple one, replace the existing speakers and see what happens.

dantool

dantool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it's a generic model..Board: Intel Corporation D845GVSR AAC45439-302
Serial Number: BTSR43902095
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. VA84510A.86A.0030.P10.0402160229 02/16/2004
sound card i'm not sure...
i've got this info
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
have tried using different speakers....but to no avail.
how do i update my driver?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to download the audio driver. Save it in a place where you can find it. When download ends install the driver.

dantool

dantool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanx skeptic....
i'll download the driver and then get back.
and this is the only problem...rest of the applications are working fine.even if i'm watching a video..the pictures are fine it's just the voice that dissappears after about 10-15 min of play.

Edited by dantool, 29 July 2007 - 12:17 PM.

dantool

dantool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the problem hasn't been resolved even after updating the said driver...
today i was watching something and voice went off after about 2 min of playback.
i restarted my computer and put the programme again and the voice again went off.
i was third time lucky cos i restarted again and this time there was no problem.
now one thing is surprising...after the sound goes off and as i restart my computer i can hear sound
which win xp gives out while it shuts down :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use my signature below for link to Sandra XI. Download and run the program. Please note that if you run XP 64 you need a different version of Sandra then when using XP 32. .

How to create a Sandra XI report.

Important Note: Sandra, like all computer test programs, stresses computer components beyond the average use. This is necessary to discover weaknesses in the system. On the other hand, if the system is in a marginal state a permanent failure of components may occur . Before running the program make sure to save any unsaved data.

Click on Tools and then on Create Report. Follow the instructions and when given the options uncheck everything except for Audio Devices. Choose a place in which to save the report. The report can be very long and complex so do not attach it to your post unless specifically asked to do so.

Run the program. At the top righthand corner there is an idicator that shows that the test is running. At the end look at the report on the screen and report if the test passed successfully.

dantool

dantool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes,the test was successful.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure what the problem is. it might be that the audio circuit on the motherboard is faulty and disconnects randomly. Could you get a pci sound card, even from an old computer? If yes, install it, connect the speakers to it and see what happens.