Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windowed Mode CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

bonafidemike

bonafidemike

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there, not sure if this is the right place to post this (I hope it is), but it's kind of a last resort.

I have recently bought a new machine, and I was lazy enough to do a direct hardrive swap (without a reformat) from my old machine to the new one. Although I had a heck of a time replacing drivers and getting everything to run decently, it did work fine for a time. But just recently, I decided it was probably good to start from scratch. So, I reformatted my computer.

The problem I'm encountering now was discovered while testing World of Warcraft with the new machine, after I had formatted. This worked perfectly before the format, but now, I have this problem:

When in Normal full-screen mode, everything is fine. When I alt-tab to another program, WoW's cpu usage is regulated as a background app, and brought down to a low amount. BUT, when I run WoW in "Windowed Maximized" mode, my CPU seems to be treating it as just anohter windowed application. When I bring another application to focus, WoW continues to run at the same CPU usage, and my system starts to lag until WoW is the focus again. Is this a problem specifically with World of Warcraft, or is this some setting with my CPU or graphics card?

I'm running a Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz processor.

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Have you update your graphics drivers?

bonafidemike

bonafidemike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All drivers have been updated, yes.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Most Games do use most of your systems cpu up but on some games you can specify how much cpu it uses i'm not sure about WoW thoe but i will have alook. it will probaly be something like /hunkmegs 512 (half of your pc ram) or something similair if its possible other wise it might be just WoW

EDIT: Have a look at this site because it could be your in game graphics settings
http://www.anandtech...aspx?i=2381&p=2 (might help or might be aload of rubish)

Edited by ==SpuD==, 30 July 2007 - 06:10 AM.

bonafidemike

bonafidemike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response. I appreciate the help. I'm aware that games use up most of my system's cpu, but even in windowed mode, the cpu usage of the program *should* be regulated to next to no cpu usage when I have another program as my focus. This is what happens when WoW is in normal mode. I'm afraid that it has to be something with my computer/cpu settings or *something*, and not the game graphics themselves, because I ran WoW with the exact same settings prior to the reformat absolutely fine. The cpu usage was properly regulated when I switched to another application.

Any more ideas/help from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
sorry i havent got any more ideas il leave it for some one with more expirence in this matter to deal with

Sorry i couldnt have helped more :whistling:

SpuD