Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linksys WRT54GP2

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
just got a new tablet pc with wireless internet, so the first thing i bought was a wireless router, i got the absolute cheapest one (after buying a $2000 computer, i couldnt really afford a decent router) bought a linksys WRT54GP2, ive set it up and it works fine for a few hours then the internet fails on all computers (though i can still access other computers on the network i just cannot actually access the internet), whenever this happens i have to reconfigure everything which buys me the next couple hours, it is a big inconvenience though, ive tried the users manual, seems im doing everything right, anyone know what the problem might be?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if the memory of the router is faulty and is loosing the setup configuration. If still under gurantee try to replace it.

Chosen

Chosen

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have been using the same router for about a year now.....my life has been filled with internet problems ever since. What kind of internet connection do you have. I had the same problem with not being to acces the internet but still having access to other networked computers. but my problem was the adsl zoom modem was not communicating with the linksys very well, and would only work spontaniosly. I dont know what kind of internet you are using, but if you have a seperate modem try giving that a look.

Edited by Chosen, 02 August 2007 - 07:45 PM.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
i got a motorolla surfboard modem, cable internet connection, not a dsl, ive typed ipconfig/all in cmd, it says ive got a lease time, im guessing when it expires theres trouble refreshing it so i have to reconfigure the router, anyway of getting rid of the lease time?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can test your idea of release time. Have a look in ipconfig /all when the lease expires and see if there is time correletion between this time and the time that you lose your internet connection.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
yup, internet connection dies right after lease time expires

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter your router's settings. Somewhere in the menus, under DNS, there should be an option to enable automatic assigned DNS. Choose this option and clock Apply or whatever is needed to save the change. Reboot the computer.