Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Unable to connect to the router?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

a couple weeks ago i hosted a lan party and used my router as the hub. Ever since i have been unable to connect/use my router so i decided to go out and buy a new one ( i forgot the password to the old router lol). So i picked up a belkin N1 wireless router, i set it all up and started my system and i put in the install disk and its unable to connect to my new router. So i tried entering the ip to the router and i get sent to the router setup page. But when i go to the internet WAN settings to input my internet password and username it times out. So i called up belkin and they said its a software problem on my desktop (after they checked how physically set up the connections) .

Ive checked my LAN connections and the internet protocol and they are both set to auto for the IP and the DNS, the alternate connection is also set to auto. So im a bit stumped as to what the problem may be, i would like to get this running so i can use my wireless laptop in the house.

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Try setting your IP statically to the same IP group (192.168.2.xxx) and see if you can see the router.
Also, disable your firewall temporarily to see if that is the culprit.
If you can see the router, then you know your NIC and cable are OK.
I would then try and release and renew your IP with DHCP and see what you get. If it doesn't then something on your system is blocking you from the router...