Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Memory Problem..

• Please log in to reply

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I don't know how to explain this but yesterday I upgraded my RAM to 2gb stick and all of a sudden when I turn the computer on after putting the stick in, the motherboard starts beeping.. I got scared so then I put back my old memory and it still beeps.. What is the problem??

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi tubui, motherboard beeps mean different things. Can you please post your make/model of motherboard? Because it happened when you where changing your RAM around, it's highly possible that you could have faulty RAM or you may have bumped something in the process.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Sorry I wasn't being too specific. My motherboard model is Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro, Rev1.0.

The RAM I bought was http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231098

I read somewhere I believe that my motherboard RAM voltage is 2.5 and this RAM voltage, is 2.6.. Could this be the problem??

Also, the beep is a loooong beep, it doesn't stop at all. And when my computer boots up, it freezes right away.

I don't believe I damaged any parts of my motherboard..

How do I check what type of RAM is compatible with my motherboard? And also, how do I go in BIOS and reset the settings, so that next time I can do it correctly, and if possible, can I go in BIOs and change the voltage of the ram to 2.6 or something?

Also.. In the end, I tried to plug my own RAM back in and the beeping is still there..

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I am so sorry guys but I'd like to point out that I gave you guys the WRONG memory link.

The correct memory that I bought is: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231047

Of course I know not to force a DDR2 RAM into a board that supports only DDR :whistling:.

I was going to fix this, but right when I click the edit button, my internet went down!!!!!

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Can anyone give me a program or show me how I can look at what memory is compatible with my motherboard.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
So there is no other possible suggestions except that I was careless in the process and hit something?

Will updating bios work?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry tubui, I forgot about this thread! Here's a link to the meaning of motherboard beep codes. You'll need to know what BIOS your system runs. Read through it and see if you can find your answer.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Since there is no jumper, I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, but the long continuous beep is still there (old memory or not)

But with the old memory plugged in, Windows boot up fine (still beeping), but with the new memory, beeping is there, and windows freezes at WinXp logo.

Should I update my BIOS? If so, can someone supply a BIOS link for me? I don't wanna dl the wrong one..

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The only motherboard I could find with a similar name was the GA-8IG1000MK (rev 1.x), is this your motherboard (with the MK at the end)? If so, follow this link to download the latest drivers and BIOS. The last BIOS is model FI and was released 19th August, 2005.

If this is the wrong motherboard can you please give me the exact model code.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
No my MB is just GA-8IG1000 Pro (rev 1.x)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you find the Gigabyte website page for it? I can't see it... What country are you in? It might be hiding only in your local section...

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
http://www.giga-byte...?ProductID=1653

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be that the new module is faulty or incompatible with your computer. Go to Crucial internet site. They have a software there that checks your computer and tells you what you need (a crucial product, of course). Crucial is a Micron division and make very good products.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Should I update my BIOS? If so, can someone supply a BIOS link for me? I don't wanna dl the wrong one..

What makes you think a BIOS update will fix it? Did you look up the link I gave you on motherboard beeps? What is the diagnosis?

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Judging by what I've read so far, two reasons seem to be possible for mobo not working properly.
1. Since this is a HT enabled board, memory modules should be placed in certain slots. This may oar may not have impact on mobo stability depending on various factors like BIOS, etc.
2. Faulty RAM modules... I don't believe it, but everything happens under the sun.
It's quite possible that updated BIOS will support new modules correctly.