Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound card configuration

• Please log in to reply

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey guys, really appreciate the work you do here!

This has stumped me for a long time, and I can't seem to find a guide or any decent info regarding this issue online. Luckily it's an easy one to answer though! Just how the heck do I configure a sound card for really old PC games? The menu asks for Address, Interrupt, 8-bit and 16-bit DMA Channel, and so on. How do I figure out what the settings need to be set to? I've fiddled with the settings, but every time I hit the Test Sound button, it comes out garbled.

I'd love to know how to figure it out for myself, but I haven't a clue how to do it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Love you guys!
-LittleRaven

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi LittleRaven, I have to admit I LOVE the old games - Duke Nukem 3D was one of my favourites (about 8-10 years ago, of course)!!!

Is there an auto adjust setting? I'm pretty sure I installed the demo on my XP computer once and I just selected the "Sound Blaster", even though I have integrated audio into my motherboard and it worked. That was about a year ago, though.

What sound card (or motherboard) do you have? Is this for running on XP?

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
My God, has it been that long since the Duke went 3D already? Man, the time sure flies...

It does seem like there's an automatic adjustment happening, but the sound is still garbled. I run into the same problem on all the other old games I try to play as well. Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max are two others I'd love to play, but I can't get the sound going on those either. Same problem. I am indeed trying to run this on XP, and I have a Soundblaster Live! audio card running on a Pentium 4 2.5ghz processor.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yeah I know, I hate thinking about it, I'm getting older way too quick... (Notice I didn't say growing up, I'm not doing that, just getting older) :blink:

Other than that I'm pretty stumped. The only thing I can think of is that the installation of the game itself might be a bit wonky and needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Oh well, good luck! :whistling:

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey there!

I just wanted to let ya know I figured it out! I found a troubleshooting file (a really OLD troubleshooting file) from 3D Realms, and it had the solution. All I had to do was mute my Line In and Microphone volume settings, and viola! No more garbled sound. Funny eh?

Thanks for everything!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Nice, enjoy! I know I would! :whistling: