Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Immediate log off I cant seem to fix.

• Please log in to reply

Candie.83

Candie.83

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,

A few days ago my daily virus scan picked up something, I was in a hurry so I didn't look at what it was, I simply asked for it to be removed and shut down the PC. Since then every time I start up the computer Windows (XP Media Centre SP2) goes through the normal start up routine and loads the log in page. I have two profiles, my own and one for guests. When I try to log in to either of the profiles I am automatically logged out again. It logs me in, I see the desktop for a split second then I'm logged out again before I know it. I have been researching on the Internet about this problem and it seems that a virus associated itself with certain files and when you remove the virus the files are also removed or damaged, something like that. All attempts to fix it so far have failed and I'm really pulling my hair out as I've not backed up any of my files. Silly I know!
My attempts so far...

1) Phoned The Tech Guys who cant help. They tried to get into windows via safe mode but the same thing happens.

2) After hours of researching I found that it will most likely be solved by the method stated by gerryf on this page... http://www.geekstogo...Off-t15771.html This seems to be the most common method of solving the problem but it didn't work for my machine. Should I go back into recovery and change back what I did?

3) I have run a "chkdsk /r c:" through the recovery console and after it jumping from 75% to 50% 3 times it finally finished and told me "one or more errors were found and fixed" or something similar. Yet I still have the same problem.

There seems to be a fair amount of information around about this problem but I have to admit most of it goes over my head. I didn't even know how to enter safe mode or what the recovery console was until I had to try to fix this. It takes me such a long time because every time something new is mentioned I have to look that up too and try to decide if it's relevant.

What I need to know most importantly is how I go about trying to back up my files in case I need to reinstall windows and is reinstalling windows now my only option? Can I access my saved files (photos and videos mostly) via DOS and save them to disk? If so, how? Some websites suggest removing the hard drive and putting it in another machine as a secondary drive, is that what I should be doing or is there another way?

If someone can please help me fix this without having to start again from scrach I will be ever so grateful.

Thank you,
Candie.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If your XP partition is using the NTFS filing system (which is usually the case), then I'm afraid using DOS to access it will not work. DOS (which uses FAT) cannot even 'see' NTFS partitions, let alone access files on it. As you suggested in your post, your best option is to fit the drive as a slave in a working PC and access your files that way.