Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unzipped Files Won't Launch/open

• Please log in to reply

jakespass

jakespass

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently experienced a problem after downloading compressed files for two separate programs. I unzipped with WinZip and installed the files in a separate folder on my desktop. When I double click on setup.exe in that folder, or attempt to run the files from the Start>Programs>click... the programs won't launch or open. I see some flickering in the backgroun as if they program is trying to open, but neither of these programs will open. All other programs work as expected. I have XP Home Edition. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Are there any errors in Event Viewer that may point to the problem?

Have you tried closing all running programs especially any firewall, antivirus, antispyware applications then running the setup.exe?

jakespass

jakespass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Are there any errors in Event Viewer that may point to the problem?

Have you tried closing all running programs especially any firewall, antivirus, antispyware applications then running the setup.exe?

=========================

Yes, I tried closing each of those items, I also tried stopping each of the processes that were running (one by one) and then attempting to start the new program to see if one or more of the running programs was interfering... none of the running processes was interfering. I get no error messaage or alerts of any kind. The unzipped files just won't open.

Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.