Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New rig won't start anymore

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry I've been away guys I've been busy for a couple of months. So I built my rig and everything was working fine until I decided to take everything out to install a new CPU heatsink. So I did and everything was fine until I decided to go back to the stock heatsink which I thought is better. Now I just can't start it, I press the power button and nothing happens. I've checked everything seems to be connected but it just won't start.

Here's the spec (if you need it):

Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5N-E SLI
2 x 1GB OCZ PLATINUM Revision 2 DDR2-800
Sapphire Radeon X1950XT 256MB
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Channel
2 x 80 GB (unkown brand)
Pioneer 16x DVD-RW

and thats all I can think of right now. Also if it helps I've tried disconnecting everything except the 24 pin and 4 pin motherboard connectors and tried starting which didn't work.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry I think the power supply is dead. I tested it and it wouldn't start and when I used my other power supply my rig started but obviously my old PSU doesn't have enough juice, lol. I would also like to mention my power supply was a Kingwin 600Watt MACH1 and I'm not sure what I'll be replacing it with so any tips would be nice. Please choose the power supply from www.canadacomputers.com because I have to return it there.

Edited by SOORENA, 29 July 2007 - 08:23 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The only thing that I can think of is that you may have plased your power cable incorrectly into the motherboard. Try switching the negative and positive wires around, there is no risk associated with this if they are backwards.

Next disconnect the RAM and hard drives to see if it'll post.

From there I'd try to take a friend PSU and rule out the PSU, if this isn't an option I'd try the following:
http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=1107

Yeah it's definatly your PSU then.

James

Edited by james_8970, 29 July 2007 - 08:24 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What are you looking at spending on a PSU.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I'm not sure if I want to get the same PSU again because I think the warranty is only usable once and I don't trust that company anymore. Any ideas on what to replace it with? HERE'S the link to my PSU. LOL, I gotta stop posting at the same time. I would go with the same price range as the old one which is like $110.

Edited by SOORENA, 29 July 2007 - 08:29 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry if this comes up at the same time as your post James, but is THIS any good?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah I'll take a look at that site and like you know in 5, does 100$ sound good to you? If you spend more it lasts, and a power supply isn't something you want to cheap out on as it has potential to kill components when it goes.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
In terms of PSU I don't like OCZ, this is the best for the money I can find at the moment.
http://www.canadacom...d...&cid=PS.808
If I can find better I'll let you know.
While it says SLI certified I'd never run crossfire or SLI on this PSU as it only supports 34A total on the 12V rails. Thats enough for one of todays high end cards. You also get 5 years opposed to 3, or the 30day replacement from this store for the OCZ, mushim gets 5 years from both the store and manucaturer.
James

EditL get more info on this PSU here, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817812004

Edited by james_8970, 29 July 2007 - 09:15 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hey, I found another OCZ (I know they're not good) but its 700watts and it has decsent 12v rail amp, HERE'S the link. By the way I know that SLI and Crossfire are just marketing gimmicks so I will not be running anything in that category.

Edited by SOORENA, 30 July 2007 - 08:19 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
While I'm not a fan of them they arn't horrible PSU, I have just heard a few negative responces of them in the enthusist community(but every line has lemons). If you look around a little harder on some other sites you might be able to get a FSP product cheaper as this is the manuacture that builds OCZ's PSU products at the present moment, may change now that they own PC P&C. The exact products that the GameXstream product line is built on is the FSP Epsilon product line. What I'm saying is that OCZ just rebrands FSP power supplies.
The main reason why I don't like them is their fluctuation on the rails, which results in a shorter lifespan of your PC components.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 July 2007 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
OK NVM ALL THAT!!! IM SO PISSED!!! They wouldn't let me exchange it with another one so I got a brand new PSU of the same kind. And now at least the PSU is good but when I press the start button the fans come on for 1 second and then nothing it just powers down again. I have a feeling its the mobo this time cause I removed everything but the mobo, cpu, and ram and this happens. I think its short circuiting somewhere on the board possibly in the PCI slot.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Remove the RAM as well to see if it'll boot into BIOS. You have a lower end PSU and it's possible that when it went out it took the motherboard. Also try the other PSU you had tried before, maybe this is another lemon, unlikely but possible.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 July 2007 - 09:08 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok I forgot to mention that the mobo turned on when I tried the new PSU but nothing would show on the monitor and the Video card fan went at full speed so I took everything out and now nothin happens. Ok now I just noticed that in the PCI slot where I had the sound card there seems to be something in there, I'm not sure but could it be short circuiting the mobo? Its very hard to see as its micro sized.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 30 July 2007 - 09:19 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you have another system that you can test component by component? I cannot really tell you what you are seeing in the PCI slot as I'm not there. Can you try the new PSU on your other build and see if it can boot? If it can we can determine that the new PSU is good and that your not having troubles with the PSU from the other build because it's under powered. What exactly do you mean you took everything out and nothing happens? If you take out the CPU or video card the motherboard will not be able to boot into BIOS, well if there is no video card it can boot into BIOS, but you wouldn't know as you wouldn't be able to see anyhting on the monitor.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok I tried everything you said and nothing worked so I just decided to take a trip (again) and use the 30 day replacement for another mobo. So now I have my system running fine. I hope the PSU doesn't die again. Thanks for your help James.

S0orena