Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to install Windows Media Player 9

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I had Windows Media Player v 9 installed in my old pc (which had Windows 2000 XP Pro 32-bit). At that time, I tried Windows Media Player 10 and didn't like it so I followed some procedures so that I could uninstall it and reinstall v 9.

I now have a new pc and I installed Windows XP Pro X64. Along with other programs, I transferred WMP v 9 from my old to my new pc. When I tried to install WMP 9, my new computer "won't let me" install it. It continuously opens the window to install WMP 10. Is there another way to install WMP 9 than just double clicking on the set-up icon? The features it has are much better than those on WMP 10, and I'm used to using it.

Denise

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Can you right click on the WMP *.exe file and select the Compatiblity tab. See if you can run WMP 9 as an earlier type O/S.

For info on WMP 9 with new PCs:

WMP 9
System Requirements

Windows XP users: Windows Media Player 9 Series is no longer available for Windows XP. Download Windows Media Player 11.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 29 July 2007 - 06:52 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The recommended os are Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 2000, or Windows Millennium Edition. Since I have Windows XP Pro X64, it seems that it I won't be able to install it. :whistling:

I meet the other requirements though. Thanks for your help :blink:

Denise

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome and thank you for using GTG.

Ron