Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Product Activation Error

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I asked my cousin yesterday to update to Windows Media Player 11 for me because it has a cool black look. He tried but my windows isn't genuine or whatever. So he went to download something to register my windows or whatever. And now everytime i boot up my computer i get a Windows Product Activation error. "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80004005. " Then it brings me back to login screen. I tried safe mode but same error happened, I can't even go on my computer to do system restore. I'm on my brother's laptop right now.

Thanks if you can help.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your cousin probably downloaded a small bit of software to try and get around the need for product activation, which is illegal even if it doesn't work. If you bought your copy of XP legally and you think you have been 'ripped off' by the seller, you should contact Microsoft. If you acquired XP knowing it was an illegal copy we can't help you. You will have to buy a legal copy.