Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Schubee

Schubee

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok in a nut shell i have 2 hard drives that work and one that wont.
the two that work are my sata 300 gb and my wd 300 gb ata.
the one that dose not work is my 320 sata.
the other 80 is not revelent because i mirrored the info including the os(windows) to the 300 sata when i accendently snaped the molex conecter pins off the 80 ata..
so i replaced it with the 300 sata but dident have a cable for it so i just used the cable from the 320 sata.
now that i have a extra cable i want to get the data and use the 320 sata but pluging it in slot two wont work because that is where my 300 sata with windows is installed.

so i dont know if there is a way to get windows to learn the 320 is not in slot 1 but in slot 2

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
It was interesting reading your post. I can't seem to figure out how the hard drives are put together. I cant promise to help but I can't understand what is going on in the "nut shell".

There are 2 300 gig that work one 320 gig that does not work and also 80 gig that what :whistling: ?

You had the 320 that worked and now after changes it won't? The raid is set up how. What are the connections.
Where is the extra cable from?

Try and post some system information - and hardware.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Schubee, I'm going to mirror what vally has said: Can you please post again with everything a little more clear? If your 80GB ATA hard drive is not relevant to the help we'll be giving you, then don't mention it. It sounds like you want to install the 320GB SATA to your computer, is that right?

Please post your motherboard make and model (or system make and model if you're not sure, like Dell or HP).

Schubee

Schubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sorry i just got some very weird responses and got fed up and just made a new topic.

i have 3 hard drives.

#1 is a 320 ata

#2 is a 300 sata in slot 1 of my motherboard

#3 is plugged in to slot 2

my operating system is on hard drive #2.

i installed windows on hard drive #2 when hard drive #3 was unplugged so it wont read in windows

i checked in the bios and it only reads hard Drive #2 and #1

the only thing i can think of is that i was using hard drive #3 i as storage in a friends computer in his first sata slot

so is there any way to make my computer read this hardrive or should i just buy a new one

ps no r.a.i.d.

pps
Windows XP Professional (5.01.2600 Service Pack 2)

User privileges
---------------
Administrator

System
======

Motherboard
-----------
MSI MS-7142

BIOS
----
Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

CPU
---
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+ 2199 MHz

Memory
------
1024 MB (Bank0/1)
1024 MB (Bank2/3)

Video card
----------
Radeon X1650 Series

Sound card
----------
Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

Drive configuration
===================

VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
-----------------------------
Driver: VIA Technologies, Inc. 5.1.2600.2180

Primary IDE Channel
-------------------
Driver: (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers) 5.1.2600.2180
+ WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 (Master / UDMA Mode 5 / 298 GB)

Secondary IDE Channel
---------------------
Driver: (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers) 5.1.2600.2180

VIA SATA RAID Controller
------------------------
Driver: VIA Technologies, Inc. 5.1.2600.410
+ \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 (298 GB)

SCSI/RAID Host Controller
-------------------------
Driver: (Standard mass storage controllers) (Standard mass storage controllers)
+ VW3182Z HUC306V SCSI CdRom Device (2 GB)

thank you for any help you can give

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
weather or not the drive was plugged in when you installed windows it should still be readable unless you have a linux or other non-windows partition. Does the computer see the hard drive? when it is plugged into the board does it come up in setup? I don't see it listed in your list... Is there anything on the undetected drive? Has it been partitioned and formated? are all the sata devices turned on? is the raid feature turned off in setup?

Schubee

Schubee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the computer dosenot see the hard drive

i am not using raid but sata is turned on and the raid splash screen from my bios shows only hardrive #2

there is data on the drive

Thanks for the help

Schubee

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
if you remove all drives and just connect the problem drive does the computer see it? if not you may have a dead drive. By the way you say raid is not used but you still get a raid bios screen... are you using on-board sata? if so can you turn raid off in startup? maybe set sata for ide emulation or compatibility? or maybe called legacy operation? if the sata is on a card, you could check the bios on the raid card to see if it has anything for settings... if possible turn anything to do with raid off to eliminate that from being a possible issue....

If however you connect just the problem drive and try different cables ( both data and power ) and the computer or controller do not see a hard drive I'd say your drive has died....

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you able to get the drive working in a different computer (like your friends you mentioned)?