Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need for Speed

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hello!

I've got an Intel® System Properties also reads Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz. I'm running Windows XP. Memory: 1.00 GB of RAM.

I'm wondering if I can upgrade this to something speedier. :whistling: I assume it should be something Intel. Intel always has been fine by me. I've tried everything (well, a lot) of what I've read here at Geeks to go!, but haven't found the cause of slow startup, applications opening slowly, and some web sites (including yours, sometimes) taking forever to open, if they open at all. These are web sites that 3 to 4 months ago would snap open.

Didn't used to be this way with Photoshop, but now if I work a lot in Photoshop that does slow everything down.

Computer was a year old in June.

Hmm....

Thanks

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I think it will be best to make sure that your slowdown issue is not malware related.

Please go to the Malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Also if you want to learn how to fight malware with us. Check out This Thread.

As far as upgrading goes, you will need to know the make/model of your motherboard.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thank you. I'll go back there and really study it. So far, I did get from there the advise to download Kaspersky Anti-virus 6.0. Scanned. The results showed no problems.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I would try restoring the computer to a previous point where it was fine, but I don't think Windows Restore works that far into the past. Also maybe a reformat will help.

Soorena

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Soorena,

You're right about System Restore. Actually it never works for me.

I'm afraid I don't know what a reformat is or how to do it. If you mean a clean reinstall of Windows XP, I can't do that since it was preinstalled so I don't have a CD.

I have followed the directions for posting a Hijack This log, and saved the logs. I just posted them there.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Robert

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Before we jump to more extreme mesures, try doing the following.
Go start->run type "misconfig"
Look throughout all the running applications, and figure out which ones you don't need being loaded at start up, I for one remove quicktime and MSN as an example, if you don't know which ones to remove please list all the running applications here and we can suggest which ones can be removed to speed up your boot up time.
Next do a disk defrag this can be loacted under start->system tools->system defrag
I'm not running XP right now so it might be under another folder such as applications.
As this runs don't do anything on your computer till the process has been compleated.

Note: I just noticed your situation in the malware room, please don't follow this advice till you have been finished in the malware forum so that your not making to many system changes at once and will make things easier and quicker for the malware staff to get you cleaned up.
James

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thank you James. :whistling:

I do appreciate your offer for me to list all the running applications here. Very generous that you would suggest which ones can be removed.

I use Diskeeper 2007. It defrags constantly in the background.

I shall take your advise and wait for the malware forum before sending the running apps.

Thanks again,

Robert