Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Confused about internet speeds

• Please log in to reply

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I'm thinking about changing my internet provider to Verizon who touts a high-speed internet of 3.0 Mbps. However, I just checked my current connection and it says it's running at 400.0 Mbps! Here's the screenshot...

Posted Image

Am I misreading it? Would switching to Verizon be a drastic downgrade from my current internet provider?

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
the 1394 connection is not your internet connection...1394 is a reference to a firewire connection which can be made between two machines localy

the "local area connection" is the one you're connecting with...and i'd wager that it says 10mbps...but that's still not your internet speed...that's just the speed that your NIC is capable of

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ go there and run a speed test...that will tell you your actuall internet connection speed