Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me fix my laptop please!

• Please log in to reply

sluggy

sluggy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a laptop, it is an HP Pavillion dv5000, and it was working totally fine until yesterday. Everytime I turn it on now, I get this error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file

I read online that some people said to insert their original windows XP cd and use the recovery option, but when I tried that, I got this message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

I don't know what to do from here. Can anyone help me out, please. Thank you.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Microsoft has addressed this problem the the article "Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware Configuration Problem".

This article addresses the error message,
"Winnt_root\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Which you described.

If this solution does not help please post back for further assistance.

sluggy

sluggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Microsoft has addressed this problem the the article "Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware Configuration Problem".

This article addresses the error message,
"Winnt_root\System32\Hal.dll missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Which you described.

If this solution does not help please post back for further assistance.

Method 1 says to edit the boot.ini file by right clicking on my computer and clicking properties, however I cannot do this because I cannot get to the desktop from my laptop.

Method 2 says to do the following:
1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.

However, when I press the R key to use the Recovery Console I get this error message: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program."

Method 3 says to do the following:
1. Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.
2. After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.

Again, same problem, I can't use the recovery console.

Method 4
Start the computer by using the Recovery Console....

Once again, can't do it.