Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Eeep usb port is rejecting everything! help T_T

• Please log in to reply

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Kay whenever I plug in my mp3 to download some tunes or movies, the device is shown as unknown and on media player it doesn't show that it's plugged in..it's not just my mp3 either because I've used a sansa media player on it and a RCA lyra and they both got unknown device!!!!!!Same with my printer..

I really want some music on my devices, and I NEED my printer for high school..so please help me..

I'm not that good with computers so sorry if I didn't give enoug detail..

kthxbye :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Were these devices ever working well? Is it a problem that started with all the devices at the same time?

Try to plug the devices to another usb port and see if it makes any difference. If you have a usb hub please disconnect it and connect the devices directly into the port.

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No my mp3s and printer work fine, I just baught my new mp3 like a month ago and it works on my friends computer, and i've tried all the ports on the hard drive nothing works, i dont know what a usb hub is but i don't think i have one

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Boot the computer and enter into the BIOS tables by repeatedly tapping the del or F2 keys. Sometimes it's another key. If you do not succeed, please press the Pause key as soon as you see the first boot screen. Read and follow the instructions about how to enter Setup.

When entering the BIOS tables look for anything that deals with USB. If it's disabled please enable it. Save the changes and let the computer reboot. Any difference?

2: Click: Start > settings > control panel > system > hardware > device manager. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Double click on each item in the list and under General tab look for Device Status. Please report if all are working well. Also, write down the names of items you see in the list.

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i don't understand step 1 so i did step they are all working properly..

standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller
standard openhd usb host controller
standard openhd usb host controller
USB root hub

the rest are usb root hubs

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Step 1 could be important. If you can, find someone who can help you.

Do you have XP installation CD? If yes, insert it into the drive and click: Start > Run. At the command line type sfc /scannow and press Enter. A process will start in which windows checks and reinstall missing or corrupt files. Let the process run to the end. When it finish the dialog box just disappers.

Do you have installation CDs for the disfunctional devices? Please Re-install the them.

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

Lady_FromThe_Shwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well your help was nice but non of it acually worked so I took it to future shop and they said a lot of E machine computers that were sold have that defect in them and the company gave the future shop a cd to put in e machine computers with the defect and now it works again..

so if anyone else has that problem and their computer is e machines do what i did

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I had a smiliar problem not too long ago where my USB ports were working fine, and then all of a sudden, they stopped working. It turned out to be that my power supply was going, and so wasn't providing the USB ports with enough power to run the devices. I bought a new power supply and swapped them, and then the USB ports worked fine.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.