Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a new computer and loading it with Vista

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
What are the first things I should do after I install Vista? I'm talking about security-wise. Should I go get Mozilla Firefox right away, then download the spyware programs I plan to use? Or should I just download a firewall ASAP?

And is Vista set with security now? I heard Vista had some bugs to its security.

Ok thanks.

-Matt

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The firewall in vista is two way opposed to the one way firewall that XP has, as you probably already know from GeekU. Security wise vista is really good at the moment, sure you can still get stuff like on XP, but as long as you arn't going to any adult or crack sites you should be safe, surf with care and you computer will be treated with care from the internet. All I have running is AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-malware, other then that I'd download the new updates via windowsdate as a very first move. Other then that you should be good, if you want to be extra cautious you can install a 3rd party firewall but at the present time, as far as I know, no one has reason to doubt the windows firewall. This will probably change in time, but at the present we seem to be pretty safe.
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 July 2007 - 08:57 PM.