Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound on internet only when media play

• Please log in to reply

momcowen

momcowen

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Recently when we go to any web site with sound we hear nothing. We do hear avi files played and if a web site has a video with media play we can hear sound. We have Altec Landsing speakers. They work fine it is an issue with the web sites somehow.

Please advise this is a new Dell E521 with Microsoft XP Mediacenter edition service pack 2 and the sound was working fine up until a couple weeks ago.

Advertisements

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Does your computer attempt to open a program to play the sounds by video or does everything get played within the web browser itself?

According to my knowledge, if it's getting played from within the web browser, it's usually an extension problem, but in some cases the website requires a separate media player to be ran to play the sound, then your media player might not be supporting a format.

Hmmm...

Edited by techie4fun, 01 August 2007 - 08:48 AM.

momcowen

momcowen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There was a setting I changed in the sounds in control panel which must have been the issue. For some reason it was set to a default setting called "modem #0 line playback" I switched it to Sigma Tel Audio as the sound playback device and now it is working. I don't know how it got switched or what it means but that must have been the issue!