Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

radeon xpress 200 vs anything question

• Please log in to reply

Normalcy

Normalcy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have heard alot of problems with this video card on games, among other programs. I was wondering what a good replacement might be for everything in general, and if it would actually speed up gaming.

I previously had 512 mb ram and I was playing cs source servers ..alright but when i hit a big map whoa it lagged, i couldnt even run as fast as other people cause of the lag. I bought another 512, and essentially didint do a thing for the gameplay, its still choppy as it can be and still semi-playable. I hate not being able 2 do crap on this computer. all of the new games are pretty much unplayable on this beast...I only want 2 buy a new video card if im assured it will speed up performance on games like that...and if im able 2 switch between gfx cards at any given time, without opening up this thing and taking it out of the motherboard then stabbing it back in... thx

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

We would be glad to help you, but first we need to know a few things.

1)Your price limit

2)System Specs

3)Are you planing to upgrade to Vista anytime soon? (Unless you alreay are running it)

4)Any other info that you think is needed

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 30 July 2007 - 09:49 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

if im able 2 switch between gfx cards at any given time, without opening up this thing and taking it out of the motherboard then stabbing it back in... thx

Once you get a new video card you'd toss the old one. but awnser monsters questions so that we can better serve you.
James

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
my price limit is somewhere between 200-400 maybe to 500... specs are 1024 ram and my video card is intergrated...I dont plan on upgrading to vista, I have heard sooooooooooooooooo many bad things about it iv changed my mind completly and it will prolly slow down my gameplay immensly... I DO have a copy laying around though... I think my CPU is celeron D 3.2 GHZ...would my comp be able 2 run vista? and is there any way to change it back withough taking it into a store?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Installing an operating system is something you do at home its just like installing a really big application that completely changes the computer. Vista is fine its better than XP if you already have a decent system and want your system to be a little more robust to either you or someone else breaking it, i haven't noticed any performance drop over XP at all. People just like to moan about windows if they switched to something else they would have just as many different things to moan about so take what you here with a pinch of salt. Its no big deal if you want to try it later you want to you would be able to run Vista although i would wait till you got a beefier video card.

If you want to check the exact specs for us CPU-Z and PC-wizard(wizard is bigger with more info try that first) im taking from what youve said its not a system you built yourself so what brand is it and a model number might help as well we need to know what your power supply is like to see what it can handle.

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I bought a new power souce because of the ram i bought i thought didint get enought power, turns out it was justa peice of crap.ermm my comp is a Emachines h3504, the fan is 350 watts? i dunno thats all the box says about it. And you didint answer my queston about being able 2 install it back to xp. Can you? The fan is as loud as a standard car, so i hope its working.

Edited by Normalcy, 31 July 2007 - 01:47 PM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well with such a high price limit that you have, you could get one of the following

DIAMOND 2900XT512PEO Radeon HD 2900XT
This card will also give you DX10 support incase you do decided to upgrade to Vista in the future.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814103045

OR

HIS Radeon X1950 Pro IceQ3 Turbo
This card is also a very powerful card without the DX10 support. IT also has an excellent cooling source on it.
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1826

Also your PC should be able to run Vista ok, but a RAM upgrade would be highly recommened to at least 2 Gigs in total.

Do you also know the specs of your PSU by any chance?

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ermm PSU? and 1 more gig? [bleep]... I would prefer to get a cheaper card though...

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
How is this sound then for a different GFX card. It is the one I have right now and I love it!!!

HIS Hightech H195PRQT512DDN-R-V2 Radeon X1950PRO 512MB
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161093

Also you can get an additonal gig of RAM for about 120 - 130 dollars depending on your current type of RAM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I would suggest getting a better CPU because the celeron will bottleneck any good video card that you buy.

Soorena

Advertisements

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
That one looks pretty sweet, i just upgraded 2 vista...kinda weird...its not bad though so far, and what u mean by bottlenecking? just that it doesnt let it go to its full potential?

Edited by Normalcy, 31 July 2007 - 06:07 PM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well since you just upgraded to Vista, then I would recommend a DX10 card for sure.

The DIAMOND 2900XT512PEO Radeon HD 2900XT from above is an awesome choice that I would probably go with. I am not an expret in PSU's, so I would wait for another person to come look at that category.

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
ugg it like guts gaming speed in half...like counter strike source is very choppy right now, and is my current card direct x compatible? and where are those cards found in stores? cause I dont know where 2 get a prepaid credit card and im sure i got to be 18................and with the diamond there are so many bad reviews for gaming, like this one=

Pros:it runs games pretty fast when it runs them and aside from all of the visual anomalies it looks pretty good.
Cons:where to begin.i have owned 5 thats FIVE of these cards (technically 2 of the 256mb ver. and 3 of these). NOT ONE WORKED RIGHT. NOT O N E WORKED RIGHT. some had random white blobs like eyes in the middle of the screen others had very colorful boxes in random places. some where just kinda crashie. pretty much every type of screw up possible was there.DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HIS EVER!!!!!!!!!!

I think i still may get this card though, it looks well worth the money

Edited by Normalcy, 31 July 2007 - 07:41 PM.

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
And ram for my comp is expensive, i bought 512 like a month ago for thesame price as 1 gig for another type of ram, like 90 bucks, crappy ram for a crappy comp

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I strongly recommend you don't go spending too much money on this current computer. As has been mentioned, your processor will bottleneck the system. This is possibly one cause as to why Vista is running slower than XP did. If you have the right equipment, Vista will run nice and quick.

If your budget is $500, then there's a lot of upgrades that possibly could be done to get much better performance out of your current system. Let us know if this is the way you want to go.

In those reviews, where did you get that from? It's available for anyone to type in any old trash for everyone to see. Yes it's possible that the person did get 5 bad cards in a row (extremely rare, but possible I guess). More than likely his PSU (Power Supply Unit) was not giving enough juice to the cards, but it's difficult to say. When you're reading reviews, you need to read up on what everyone who has commented, and then weigh everything up.

If you could post a link to your current rig (the actual emachines page) then that would be handy for me.