Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing Motherboard, build problems.

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
yes i have, i wasn't pleased.. i o/c'd the cpu to about 3.2, and then it crashed... so it was at about 3ghz at max.. i expected to do a 3.6-3.7 oc, at least 3.4ghz 4 sure..

that's why i'm thinking of getting the 680i, do you think i should? i'll re-install windows, screw it, but is it worth it? i want better overclocking than i had...

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I think it might not be the Mobo, because I have the 650i and I overclcoked my CPU to about 3.6Ghz, I couldn't go furthur because i hadn't installed my watercooling yet. I'm still too lazy to install it. I think the CPU's maximum speed is 3.8Ghz, I remember I read that somewhere.

Soorena

EDIT: I forgot, here's my spec if you want to compare:

Asus P5N-E SLI
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 (4-4-4-15)
Sapphire X1950XT (--> Running > than XTX speed)
Core 2 Duo E6600

and then rest doesn't matter.

Edited by SOORENA, 02 August 2007 - 01:57 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
it's the mobo, i got all the same, and it's... weird... i can't overclock it any higher... and i got a really nice Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu CPU Cooler... so... yeah...

i think i'll get the 680i :whistling:

do you approve...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The only thing I don't like about the 680i is the placement of the SATA ports, becaues if you have a long GPU it looks like it will cover some of them. Other then that it's a great board.
Did you up the CPU and/or FSB voltage? Because even though the 650i is slightly lower end, it should still achieve well over 3GHz. Also Soorena, there really isn't a limit as I have seen overclocking with liquid nitrogen in the 5GHz range, the motherboard or memory is more likely the limit opposed to the CPU.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 August 2007 - 08:07 PM.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Yes, i did increase the fsb to about 1500, and the voltage as well, it just wasn't stable...

Thank you James, its what I wanted to hear.

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Ok, hello again! :blink:

I bought the 680i SE motherboard, and replaced it with the old one. Connected all the wires and everything... But the system does not boot up!

And the weird thing is, that when I plug in the power cord, and switch the power supply switch from "o" to "l", the blue light, which is the power LED, turns on... ? I mean, if i remember correctly, the blue light only turned after you actually pressed the power button on the case... So, when i do press the power button, the blue LED goes off....? Then what happens, is all the fans work, there are some LED's on the motherboard which light up as well, and the red light, which is the HDD activity LED, does not blink or glow at all ......... ?

I am VERY confuzed... and want my computer working!

I mean, if i did put a new motherboard in, it should at least boot into bios right?

If it helps, «THIS» is the guide i've been using to build...

REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!!!! PLEASE!!! I am simply lost :whistling:

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I had the same problem with the 650i just before it died on me, I took everything out and put it back together and after that when I pressed the button the fans would start for 1 sec and then nothing. I took it back and they said its dead so they gave me a new one. Are you sure you connected the 4 pin mobo connecter along with the 24 pin?

Soorena

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
yes... all the fans are spinning though... maybe i messed up the connectors, like the +|- of the LEDs? i dont' know :whistling: i'm sure that i connected everything though...

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
What is most suprising to me, is that the light goes on when the computer isn't turned on, and goes off, when i push the power button. Also the HDD LED does not blink at all! :whistling:

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
[bleep], where is james when you need him ! :whistling:

Advertisements

pers

pers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
it seems like my topic is being ignored, and i am sorry to bother you AGAIN, but i REALLY need your help on this one, i don't think there will be anything much else i'll need help with.

Please help me guys! :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm not ignoring you, just thinking about your issue.
I'm trying to think about what may be causing your issue, but it's really bizarre. At first I thought it might be a short, but you can turn the LED off once you push it in, then turn it back on when you push it after that. Thus ruling out a possible short of some kind.
The only thought that comes to mind is, is your power cable for the power button, backwards on the motherboard, I personally cannot see this as the issue, but why not give it a try.
If that doesn't work double check your motherboards layout, do you have the power button cables plugged into the reset pins or pins for something else? I'm thinking somethings wired wrong, I suggest unplugging everything and starting for scratch as big of a job as it may be, it might be the only way. Double check the layout that you do indeed have the right cables into the right pins on the motherboard.
James