Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Plain English Help Neede!

• Please log in to reply

lisay

lisay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK- this might seem a bit like a broken record - but I am a newby here and need help. THank goodness I have my laptop for moments like this. My desktop was quite noisy and I was thinking about upgrading my Ram - SO, I openned it up to clean it up and check the ram situation. I noticed that the fan on my video card was not working. I took it in and the guy said it will die soon - just turn it off after 2 hours or so - for now. We also noticed that two of the little battery looking things were leaking (ugh). It seems the motherboard has a death sentance too! I needed to put in a wireless network card so I bought one, packed up the beast and brought it home. Excited to get wireless, I inserted the card and then plugged everything back in. I pressed the power button, I heard the fan come on and saw the green power button. THe monitor clicked on with a message "off mode in 5 seconds" and it shut off. My mouse and keyboard do not work. My new network cards' power light did not come on. So, did I kill it? All night, I have been listening to my husbands version of "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" - well, too late! What do I do now? I think I might call for help.. but I do like to tinker -

Thanks, Lisa

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: I am not sure I understood what you did with the faulty video card fan. Did you replace it? You may be able to buy a new one. If not, and I do that sometimes, if you use the computer for simple applications like surfing, emailing, Office and such, you can just remove the fan. However, this is only true if you have a heatsink (a ribbed metal plate) below the fan. As a last resort you can replace the video card.

2: Open the box and take the new card out. Check that the video card and ram modules sit tight in place. Move them carefully while pressing down lightly to ensure a goos contact. Try to reboot.

3: The things that look like tiny batteries are capacitors and if they leak or are inflated it's a bad sign. Lets leave them at the moment and hope that we can reboot. The only other alternative is to replace the motherboard.

lisay

lisay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did keep the old video card for now! I think the leaking motherboard is more of a probem - LOL! So, last night I tracked down another old computer from a friend that I will try to reteofit with my old hard-drive as a slave. I'll get it tomorrow morning and just need it to work for about 2 months. As long as I can get what I need off of the old hard-drive I'll be happy. I hope it works! I will get a new computer in Sep/Oct so any suggestions on what is good would be great - we just have to recover from our newly purchased piano before I get my new toy!