Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder is not accessible

• Please log in to reply

.:{EK}:. Squall

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
~~~~~~~~~~~~background info~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 days ago my computer restarted all of a sudden and then just froze up at the login screen. I tried to boot into safe mode and use the last known configuration but none of it worked. As a last resort i decided to use the Repair function however while in the repair process, some files were unable to be copied. i though it might have to do with the scratches on the windows xp home installation disk but when i tried my friends scratch free disk, the same thing happened. I then pulled out the recent stick of ram that i had installed 2 months ago, and restarted the repair process. Turns out the memory stick was causing the problems. Now the files were being copied as normal. But when the gui appeared (you know the graphical one that shows "x minutes left till completion of installation"), it jus didnt budge past 39 minutes and there was no hard drive activity for a good 15 minutes. so i .....

~~~~~~~problem here~~~~~~~
Anyways i installed a new hard drive and had soon xp home edition running on it. I wanted to get my files from the old hard drive (which had xp home installed as well but not booting , as mentioned above), so i installed it as a slave on the secondary ide channel (the master is a dvd reader, on the primary channel there is only the new hard drive with xp home). I can access all files on the old drive except for the Administrator (called Squall in my case) folder. (the folder is found in documents and settings) when i try to open the folder it says "the folder is not accessible" .

my set up is like this currently;

C:drive (primary master, contains xp home edition)
F:drive (my old hard drive which had xp home installed, this is the hard drive that contains the folder Squall which i cant access)
D:drive (secondary master, my dvd reader)

So any idea why i cant access it? Is there any conflicts or anything?

ps. I also have a question about windows activation. since on my old drive i had activated my copy of xp home, would my current installation of xp home get locked if i try to activate it on this new drive?

thanks for any help you can provide,

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as for the activation...no...you get 5 times to activate automatically before you have to start calliing MS to activate and explain why you passed the 5 time mark

for the files...try this

How to take ownership of a folder

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain.
For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307874 How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
  • Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
  • Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  • In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  • Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory <folder name>. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?.

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.[/code]
    Note <folder name> is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

• Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
How to take ownership of a file

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
  • Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
  • Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  • In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.

• Click Add.
  • In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
  • When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thank you so much dsenette :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP