Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't read own DVD-Rs

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Strange thing! My computer can't read DVD-Rs that it burnt (or the Samsung CD-R/RW/DVD+R/-R/+RW/whatever drive connected to it did)! It just happened to me twice in a row. The burning itself went fine (at 1x), the data verification found no errors. But when I re-insert the DVD-R back in, Windows XP just tells me "Empty CD".

This is my first experience with burning DVDs so I might have forgotten something, but it is certainly very weird, that the same drive that produce the DVD-R cannot read it?! What?!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, can you tell us if the DVD plays in another computer to rule out that, also is there some special program for burning that came with that drive(nero, or some other), and what are you using to burn those DVDs with. I am hoping that it is the burning program that is at fault here, have you tried another?

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

thanks for the response. Sadly, I don't have another computer at disposal, but I'll try as soon as the opportunity pops. I used the Nero 6 OEM version bundled with the drive, with which I created the first DVD-R. It was supposed to burn it at 8x, but it did at 1x. Data verification was very successful, but that was not the case of reading it afterwards. Today I had a go at the second DVD-R, which I concocted with CDBurnerXP Pro 3. Again, the speed was much slower than I selected (cca 1x instead of 4x). Same problem, burning fine, verification complete with no errors, but whenever I stick this DVD-R in my drive, it will report it as a blank CD.

I actually tried to google my drive and I found that many people face similar problems. I think it might be a compatibility issue, as my computer is fairly old (5/6 years). I've tried the following:
  • reinstalling the drive
  • reinstalling the drive drivers
  • updating the firmware
  • physically removing the drive and putting it back
  • resetting from PIO to DMA
  • reinstalling IDE controller (or whatever)
  • connecting the drive on a separate IDE and power cable
but it seems that this Samsung "WriteMaster" SH-S182M just ignores all my efforts :whistling: