Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ftp server

• Please log in to reply

JtheComputerguy

JtheComputerguy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Is it possile to run an ftp server on a optimum online connection...if possible what steps are needed to do this...Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible...but we'd need to know more about your setup...how are you physically connected? direct to the modem? with a router? how many computers?

JtheComputerguy

JtheComputerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I an connected thru a lynksys wireless g router the ftp server will be a deticated machine hard wired thru the router...i have no problem opening the ports on the router but does optimum block this port needed to run a ftp server...also will i need server 2000 or server 2003 in order to accomplish this...thanks...i was also thinking about setting up a vpn.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'll have to check with optimum about the ports they block if they block any...you can set up an FTP server on a different port than 21....the OS is rellatively unimportant....is this a "work" setup or home?

as far as the FTP server...you could use the one built into windows IIS...or filezilla has a good FTP server for windows that's pretty easy to set up....if you go with a linux machine...there's about a half million diff ftp servers...i use proftp for mine

i'm going to assume that you don't have multiple static ip's on the internet connection right? is it just a single dynamic or a single static ip? if it's dynamic check out www.dyndns.org....you can set up a domain that will automatically route to your dynamic ip (you'll need to install a client if your router doesn't support DynDNS...though a lot of linksys routers do support dyndns) so you can give someone a web address (something like www.myftp.dyndns.org) instead of having to hand out ip addresses

then obviously you'd have to do the port forwarding in your router

as far as the VPN....what's the purpose?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
looked at the optimum website (http://www.optimum.c...nline|809454352)...according to them (or at least my search) they only block port 80 and filter port 25...they don't mention FTP

they also apparently offer DDNS as well (dynamic DNS)

http://optimum.custh...u...a2Vk&p_li=#