Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow connection speeds

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi all, I hope someone here can help me. I have Comcast cable and I have contacted them and had a technician come out. Everything is fine with my connection coming into the house and with the modem. My concern is that something on my pc is slowing my connection speeds down. I think it is my pc and not the connection because the other pc in my house connects the same way and is actually farther from my router my is much faster. The pc I am having issues with is getting DL speeds of about 2.5 Mbps while the other pc is getting about 4.5 Mbps. This has just recently started.

Advertisements

damiensz

damiensz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
You have not given much information but I will try and help you.

Have you checked for any spyware/aware or anything that could slow down the process of the connection?

Check the PC network connection settings for anything that is different from the other.

Also check the network drivers are installed correctly and that they are up to date, this can sometimes slow down the computer.

Not much else to go on apart from it could be a network card (hardware) problem.

It could also be

Edited by damiensz, 01 August 2007 - 06:30 PM.

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have done scans for spyware and such with Ad-aware, spybot, cleanup, and mcafee anti virus. All turned up ok.

I will go through and check the network connections and the drivers and see where that gets me. Thanks for the reply. I will get back to you with the results either today or tomorrow.