Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connection problems.

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi folks.
I have a problem that is way past my ability.
I use a D-Link DIR 655N Router.
It was purchased expressly for it's firewall and to be able to use it's other features in the near future.
I have XP Pro w/SP2 hooked throught the router to cable broadband.
Before I bought the router, I was hooked directly to the cable modem and operated without a problem.
I need to be able to use this pc, sometimes, without the router.
But when I hook up the cable modem to the pc, I have no internet connection anymore.
I had the cable company on the phone for over an hour. They feel it's a problem with the pc. Possibly the ethernet card.
I updated the drivers for Realtek RTL8139/810x Fast Ethernet NIC and that doesn't help.
But when I hook up to the router it works fine.
I looked at the ip address while the router wasn't hooked up. It's 169.254.253.214 which cable support said is not a working address.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to reset the modem. Usually there is a tiny hole at the back that into which you insert a pen tip or another sharp object. Press the pin for up to 30 seconds while the modem is connected to power. When finished recreate a new internet connection. Do this while the router is out of the system.

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you for your reply.
I have tried that both on my own and with cable support talking me through it.
It just doesn't happen.
I just hope to get this fixed.
At this rate, if I have a router problem, I'm not going to be able to use my pc.
Regards.
John

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to connect the computer to the modem without the router. Click Start > Run > Cmd. At the command prompt type:

ipconfig /release and press Enter.

ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Recreate a new internet connection (Internet explorer > tools > internet options > General > create new internet connection)

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Release and flush got me nowhere.
Nor did anything else until I tried Network Magic.
That at least got me back on the internet long enough to download Paragon's Disk Wiper.
Which did not completely erase my disk. (I'm starting to feel paranoid.)
I did a clean install on what I thought was a completely wiped hard drive.
I'm running OK now and just find an occasional setting that I didn't make.
Regards.
John

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.